New toy for Christmas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks, she’ll still be 10-U this summer, so 35-feet. Just started introducing the bigger ball to her like every 10 pitches.

She looks good. We just got that same radar but have yet to sync it to video. I'm more interested in just discretely using it at tournaments and also to benchmark my DD's progress. But that video is cool and it might be useful to get private tryouts down the road.

Honestly I wouldn't move to the big ball quite yet. No real reason to if she's playing many more months of 10U ball. My DD is 11 now and it took her all of an hour to get used to the bigger ball. Personally I'd wait until you're between seasons.

More importantly IMHO is the distance. I'd start doing some practice sessions at 40 feet (assuming you're at 35 now). That's simply good strength training on top of getting use to 12U rules. When we were where you are now, starting up the last Spring/Summer of 10U, we did all pitching lessons and most practice sessions from 40 feet. Her goal was to hit 50 mph by end of 2020 and she just made it. We're now taking 8 weeks off of pitching so I'll be curious to see where we are when we ramp back up.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
I've seen it stated that the radar isn't as accurate from the side. There's a thread on it.

Interesting that it did give you about the same reading.

Nov 22, 2019
The radar isn't as accurate from the side. There's a thread on it.

The radar isn’t on the side, just the video. The radar is directly behind her, you can see the radar to the left in the video.

The radar links wirelessly to the phone, which you can then move anywhere to take videos, which it links to the radar speed. It also auto edits the videos, so you record continuously but then get a list of clips like these with the app organizing them and showing the speeds with only the pitches shown.

Nov 22, 2019
She looks good. We just got that same radar but have yet to sync it to video. I'm more interested in just discretely using it at tournaments and also to benchmark my DD's progress. But that video is cool and it might be useful to get private tryouts down the road.

Honestly I wouldn't move to the big ball quite yet. No real reason to if she's playing many more months of 10U ball. My DD is 11 now and it took her all of an hour to get used to the bigger ball. Personally I'd wait until you're between seasons.

More importantly IMHO is the distance. I'd start doing some practice sessions at 40 feet (assuming you're at 35 now). That's simply good strength training on top of getting use to 12U rules. When we were where you are now, starting up the last Spring/Summer of 10U, we did all pitching lessons and most practice sessions from 40 feet. Her goal was to hit 50 mph by end of 2020 and she just made it. We're now taking 8 weeks off of pitching so I'll be curious to see where we are when we ramp back up.

Yes, we're at 35 feet now. At one team practice in the fall she was throwing to batters and was slipping because there was no mound, so she went back to 40 feet because there was a mound there. It didn't seem to phase her. Definitely got to get her back there more often, though.

I'm hoping she gets to 50mph for the summer season. I clocked her throwing 36mph doing a drill in a prone position without using any legs, so I'm guessing her coach will be able to unlock a lot more out of her with a better drive and posture.

And use the video with the app, it's a great tool and organizer with the auto-editing.

Oct 4, 2018
The radar isn’t on the side, just the video. The radar is directly behind her, you can see the radar to the left in the video.

The radar links wirelessly to the phone, which you can then move anywhere to take videos, which it links to the radar speed. It also auto edits the videos, so you record continuously but then get a list of clips like these with the app organizing them and showing the speeds with only the pitches shown.

hahahaha. Duh me.

Of course the video can be taken from anywhere and the radar left in place.

Nov 22, 2019
The goal to hit 50mph by summer is coming along with a new PR (hit today and yesterday). My 10 year old DD seems to be gaining a little more than a mph a month. Although she’s hit PRs 3 times since Christmas Eve.

But not forgetting to change speed.

Feb 25, 2020
The goal to hit 50mph by summer is coming along with a new PR (hit today and yesterday). My 10 year old DD seems to be gaining a little more than a mph a month. Although she’s hit PRs 3 times since Christmas Eve.

But not forgetting to change speed.

You deserve some kind of DFP award. Outstanding progress + documentation.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Let me say one thing, she is very quick with her windup and start of arm swing. She goes fast and then slows down the arm speed. So, her arm speed is all windup and has a slower arm speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom