New to I/R—ball going to the left consistently

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2019
My DD and I are experimenting with I/R. Just started a few days ago. She is a HE pitcher. We are doing the I/R progression drills. We have experimented with pitching just to see/feel what I/R is vs HE. Her missed balls consistently go to the left of the strike zone with I/R and there is side spin. They are not that far out of the zone, however. Some of her balls are dead on, and they are cooking. Very few go right.

Her arm is learning I/R, so I’m thinking we are a hybrid of the two styles right now, so that is causing the issues. Any suggestions? I believe I read somewhere that the pitcher should think about releasing before “mid-snap.” Any other cues or feedback strategies? She is a “one thing at a time” girl so I can’t tell her too much at once.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
The pitches are going to the left handed batters box?
Is she getting consistent Brush Interference?
Do you have any video? It’s very hard to give solid advice without seeing her pitch.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I can’t really answer because I don’t know enough but I think the people that CAN help will want to know if she’s right or left handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Based on the limited information I would look to see if she is releasing with her fingers outside the ball. Assuming a RHP an IR fast ball should have about 1/7 rotation and break down and in to a RHB. If she has her fingers outside the ball it is not a bad thing as ideally she should learn to release both inside or outside the ball as needed.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Ken2, went thru the same thing 3 months ago with my 2nd year 10U daughter after a year of HE. All I can tell you is be patient. There will be lots of frustration and things will be tough before one day things will just click and all will be right. It's lots of work to break the old HE habits, but it is so worth it. My DD pickup 3 -4 mph just by making this change. We were lucky enough to have a teammate who was learning IR at the same time with an instructor to bounce idea off of.

Balls will go lots of crazy places till she gets comfortable. Use the lock it in drill everyday. It made the biggest improvements for DD. She has to learn that release point and IR/BR.

Just be patient and take the DD for ice cream when a session goes rough. If you're here you have half the battle whipped. These guys are amazing for us newbies.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
By no means am I even close to an expert but my daughter is also learning IR and I found when she is throwing left she is closing her body (even just slightly) to the catcher instead of remaining in the open (45) position. I may have no idea what I am talking about but when she focuses on staying open it helps.

Aug 20, 2017
Not throwing “through her body”! I’m sure she is still slamming the door shut pulling the ball to the left. Ball before hip, throw through your body, not around your body! Thanks Hillhouse!

May 16, 2019
Pitch on a power line. Have her pitch the ball in a straight line on the ground. As she completes her IR snap, have her point at the ball rolling on the ground to the catcher.

Nov 8, 2018
Your dd is cupping the ball.
Hand is under it at release and hanging onto it. That will put side spin and also make it go left.
When she is relaxed at ir I bet it’s straight and has better spin. He pitchers pitch tight and with force “typically”. Pushing and Ford I g the ball. IR pitchers have to be relaxed to let the ball whip off the hand. If she is grabbing the. All right, or cupping it at all it won’t roll off the right way.
Ps. This stuff takes time. Don’t worry about balls and strikes. Have her close her eyes and feel the whip. Feel the Ir. The accuracy will come when all the mechanics are lined up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28