New to head coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2015
Adding on a few pointers to the list...

1) Be organized in everything that you do

2) Delegate uniform decisions

3) Work on some individual skills every practice

4) Work on team skills every practice (set plays, situational defense and base running, OF cuts).

5) Have a long term goal for both #3&4.

6) Find your balance of rotating positions and comfort level of owning a position

7) Take risks to win or lose games

8) Your top 50% will fail half the time and the bottom 50% will succeed half of the time. Give the bottom that opportunity!!

9) Choose tournaments wisely (losing against good competition isn’t all it’s cracked up to be)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Someone touched on this aspect but not really covered it. As the HC you need to choose a couple of AC's that fit into your ideas. They don't have to agree with everything, but those conversations should be held in private and NEVER in front of the team. They should be free to give suggestions, but back you 100% on whatever your final decision is. Having good AC's will make your practices run smoother and you can actually get more done than trying to do it all yourself and having the kids stand around.
I hate seeing teams with numerous coaches that argue among themselves in the dugout, that doesn't help anyone. I always tell people my job is to lift heavy things for the HC, it's kinda a joke but if you really look at it it's true. Could be the Military side of me but I ask the HC want he wants to cover in practice, then I make it happen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood