New to catching - advice on gear needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
was she not getting her mitt around it? as long as she is catching and securing the ball, what does he care. sounds like a control freak to me. the challenge for fastpitch is always getting a glove/mitt to accomodate the ball and the smaller hands of the players. if she is controlling the ball well, end of discussion.

He was working on fielding and situational drills. I'm not sure if he saw much of the catcher work if any at all. She seemed to catch the 14" ball all right when they had her pitcher working with one. I'm hoping this doesn't come up again and it'll be a funny little anecdote between my daughter and I. If it becomes a sticking point, I'll have her hold her glove up to the other catcher's glove for a size comparison. I really think it stems from her leaving her 33" Easton out on the field. It's her "comfort" glove for fielding drills and this was like our second practice since moving to 12U. He carried it over to her to tell her it was too small, which it maybe is, but it's more like it's not padded enough. She showed him her current glove, and I think he just had it in his head that it would be too small too. I'm not going to sweat it yet.

Oh, don't get me started on her using her old catcher's glove for fielding. It does resemble a first base mitt, but it really kind of "blocks" some ground balls at times.

May 6, 2015
funny, normally it was a struggle to get girls NOT to use glvoes/mitts that were tooo big. PArents wanted them to grow into them, and they had no chance of squeezing the ball.

Jul 16, 2019
Ended up finding a used Mizuno Prospect Select 32-1/2" on Justballgloves.com for about $35 shipped. I figured it would be in bad shape, but wanted something for her to start practicing with and use in a tournament in a couple weeks, until I decide on the Vinci Fortus. The mitt came in yesterday and looks new, it isn't even broke in yet.

May 6, 2015
make certain you got the fastpitch version, when I first ordered DD a Mizuno prospect, ordered the baseball version by accident (comparing the two, there is a difference).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478