New Team - Costs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2020
This summer we discussed with DD about trying out for a new organization. The situation with her current organization is fine but after discussion with DW and DD we think it is time to look for something more competitive to help her progress.

Our current organization is pretty affordable compared to what I’ve seen and heard but now that we are looking we realize the financial commitment will be greater for us. We currently have volunteer coaches and no indoor facility, which factor into the team costs.

When she originally tried out for her current program, we encouraged DD to try out to see how she would do without knowing the financial commitment. We were focused on tryouts for the team with the expectation that making the team was 50/50. After she made the team we were lucky to find out it was affordable. I didn’t really want to have to tell my DD she couldn’t play because it was too expensive after we encouraged her to try out.

We want DD to try out but also don’t want to break the bank. We also don’t want to be in a position where if she makes the team then tell her we can’t swing it. In instances where we plan on trying out, should we ask for the cost before hand or should we have her try out even if we don’t know the costs. Also, do you find most org have payment plans? Are there any questions you might suggest before looking into a new org?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
1) Most TB organizations have some form of payment plans and if they don't, simply talking with the team HC/organization's president and explaining your circumstances will result in some form of help in that regard. My fees are split into 3 payments due by the 15th of September, October and November. If a family is struggling, all they need to do is to talk to me and we always work something out for an extended payment plan at lower payments.

2) Many organizations are 501(c).3 non-profit organizations so any business donations/sponsorships are a tax write off for the businesses themselves. If the organization is, most will give you a percentage (anywhere between 50%-100% is customary) of any business donation you can get and apply it towards your fees. My organization applies 100% towards the fees. So, as an example, my fees are $850 for the year. If a family would get 5 $100 dollar business sponsorships, their fees are now $350 out of pocket.

3) It is customary to ask the financial questions when being offered a place on a TB team. The conversation should go something like this. Thanks Coach! We have just a few questions before we accept. What kind of tournaments schedule are planning on? Will it be an "A" tournament schedule, showcase schedule, a mixed schedule, etc.? What positions do you see her playing? How much playing time should we expect to see her play? What are the fees for the year? What do they include? Are the fees split into payments and if so, what are they? Are you a 501(C).3? If we solicit sponsorships from businesses, does any of that get applied towards the fees?

Make a list of these questions and any others that apply towards your situation or you may want to know just for informational purposes. Go try out. If you're offered a spot, pull out the list and start asking the questions. Finish up with something along the lines of, ' We appreciate all of the information and the time you've taken to get it to us. We need to discuss it as a family and we'll get back to on ____________ (preferably 1-2 days) and let you know. Talk to you soon.'

Most importantly, be honest with the coach. If you have more tryouts you want to go to, just say so. Just have the decency to stay in touch and let them know if you take an offer from another team instead. You never know what the future holds and you certainly don't want to burn your bridges behind you.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
The costs for the team itself is small. The $500-1000 per weekend for travel tournaments is much greater.

I am assuming this means they are planning on doing lots of out of town tournaments. or are you paying a fee per tournament DD attends (although this I cannot imagine exceding $75 per player per tournament)?

what age is your DD? I know several teams of older girls (say 14u and up) where not all families attend all tournaments, there will be a group of girls attending without parents, parents split cost of rooms, and girls ride with coaches or other families if driving, etc. obviously not the best option, but something to consider. We have sent DD1 to Florida twice (at 16 and 17 ) without accompanying her, just could not justify air fare for even one of us. arranged with coaches shared rooms for her and a few other girls, and she had money she had to budget, coaches and parents who did go kinda looked out for her

if a parent is traveling together, you can try to drive down costs by eating out a little less (cereal in hotel for breakfast if no free breakfast, make sandwhiches in room if schedule allows for lunch, etc.). if only one parent going, consider car pooling with another player/parent.

Jul 27, 2020
The costs for the team itself is small. The $500-1000 per weekend for travel tournaments is much greater.

That was another one of the factors. We haven’t travelled too far and the tournaments we have played in we’re pretty local to us so we didn’t have to stay overnight.

Jul 27, 2020
I am assuming this means they are planning on doing lots of out of town tournaments. or are you paying a fee per tournament DD attends (although this I cannot imagine exceding $75 per player per tournament)?

what age is your DD? I know several teams of older girls (say 14u and up) where not all families attend all tournaments, there will be a group of girls attending without parents, parents split cost of rooms, and girls ride with coaches or other families if driving, etc. obviously not the best option, but something to consider. We have sent DD1 to Florida twice (at 16 and 17 ) without accompanying her, just could not justify air fare for even one of us. arranged with coaches shared rooms for her and a few other girls, and she had money she had to budget, coaches and parents who did go kinda looked out for her

if a parent is traveling together, you can try to drive down costs by eating out a little less (cereal in hotel for breakfast if no free breakfast, make sandwhiches in room if schedule allows for lunch, etc.). if only one parent going, consider car pooling with another player/parent.

My DD will be playing first year 12u and our org hasn’t travelled too far and everything for the most part has been local.

The teams we are looking at is step up and think the actual travel cost will be more of a factor. That along with her pitching lessons adds up. (As I’m sure everyone here is aware. Ha)

DD is at the age where she is enjoying and understanding the game more and wants to learn, get better and challenge herself. We would hate to deny her an opportunity to advance if it comes to $$$ when she is really showing interest. In my opinion is a critical age where she starts to get serious about it.

May 1, 2018
My DD will be playing first year 12u and our org hasn’t travelled too far and everything for the most part has been local.

The teams we are looking at is step up and think the actual travel cost will be more of a factor. That along with her pitching lessons adds up. (As I’m sure everyone here is aware. Ha)

DD is at the age where she is enjoying and understanding the game more and wants to learn, get better and challenge herself. We would hate to deny her an opportunity to advance if it comes to $$$ when she is really showing interest. In my opinion is a critical age where she starts to get serious about it.

Remember to factor in uniform costs. First month for us is pretty expensive cause of that....then $150 every month during season (12u moving to 14u) During the spring that cost will jump up. I tell parents when we make an offer what the costs are.

Jul 27, 2020
1) Most TB organizations have some form of payment plans and if they don't, simply talking with the team HC/organization's president and explaining your circumstances will result in some form of help in that regard. My fees are split into 3 payments due by the 15th of September, October and November. If a family is struggling, all they need to do is to talk to me and we always work something out for an extended payment plan at lower payments.

2) Many organizations are 501(c).3 non-profit organizations so any business donations/sponsorships are a tax write off for the businesses themselves. If the organization is, most will give you a percentage (anywhere between 50%-100% is customary) of any business donation you can get and apply it towards your fees. My organization applies 100% towards the fees. So, as an example, my fees are $850 for the year. If a family would get 5 $100 dollar business sponsorships, their fees are now $350 out of pocket.

3) It is customary to ask the financial questions when being offered a place on a TB team. The conversation should go something like this. Thanks Coach! We have just a few questions before we accept. What kind of tournaments schedule are planning on? Will it be an "A" tournament schedule, showcase schedule, a mixed schedule, etc.? What positions do you see her playing? How much playing time should we expect to see her play? What are the fees for the year? What do they include? Are the fees split into payments and if so, what are they? Are you a 501(C).3? If we solicit sponsorships from businesses, does any of that get applied towards the fees?

Make a list of these questions and any others that apply towards your situation or you may want to know just for informational purposes. Go try out. If you're offered a spot, pull out the list and start asking the questions. Finish up with something along the lines of, ' We appreciate all of the information and the time you've taken to get it to us. We need to discuss it as a family and we'll get back to on ____________ (preferably 1-2 days) and let you know. Talk to you soon.'

Most importantly, be honest with the coach. If you have more tryouts you want to go to, just say so. Just have the decency to stay in touch and let them know if you take an offer from another team instead. You never know what the future holds and you certainly don't want to burn your bridges behind you.

Thank you for this. It is very helpful and continue to learn how this all works. I was sure how to go about asking about the costs and wasn’t sure when it is appropriate to ask about it. I will certainly keep all this in mind.

May 6, 2015
I would ask about costs once an offer is made. some orgs will make an outline of costs and payment schedule part of their offer (DD tried out for one org that was very formal about it, sent us an entire packet outlining costs, team rules and expectations, outline of schedule and travel involved, did nto go that way, but respected the lady who ran the org for being so detail oriented).

Oct 4, 2018
Best to ask questions after you get an offer.

However, you can certainly hang out at the tryout and listen up for the talkative parent who's already on the team. Then you can pull them aside and ask. There's always at least one parent who likes to come off as the "team expert" and will happily divulge all this info to you. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802