New rule for pitching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
I'm going to write a new rule for pitching, and it should be enforced under the penalty of jail: if your daughter can't catch the ball being thrown back to her at lessons, she's too young for lessons!!! I had someone reach out to me about lessons for a 6 year old today. Not a typo, 6, SIX years old.

SMH!!!

Bill

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I agree that if the child can't catch the ball thrown back to her she probably should not be taking lessons. There are some 6 year olds that can catch pretty well if the ball is right to them.

Sure 6 years old is pretty young. Maybe the parents have a lot of extra money. I don't see an issue with doing a 30 minute lesson with a 6 year old to train them to throw under hand correctly.

Look at it this way, the parents probably did some research before they chose you to do pitching lessons with their daughter. Who better to learn from?

What town and state do you do your private lessons out of? I am about 30 miles south of Chicago. If you would rather reply via pm feel free. I did not see a location on your website.

Jul 31, 2019
I'm going to write a new rule for pitching, and it should be enforced under the penalty of jail: if your daughter can't catch the ball being thrown back to her at lessons, she's too young for lessons!!! I had someone reach out to me about lessons for a 6 year old today. Not a typo, 6, SIX years old.

SMH!!!

Bill
My guess is if you ask the parents she’s already being recruited:rolleyes:

May 29, 2015
Those of us who are really in the know about these things would tell them the truth: that if she waited until 6 years old, she is already hopelessly behind the curve.

All of the really good pitchers had parents who gave them a softball shortly after being able to stand. If you weren't already being recruited in pre-K, forget about it. You need to have a decent change-up before you are even on solid foods. And a curve ball? Before you get out of diapers.

I suppose if she just wants to play travel ball the rest of her life, she might be OK. You really need to emphasize to them that she NEEDS to be going to travel ball games while still in a car seat though.

;)

Feb 6, 2018
MN

SMH!!!

Bill
I agree that it is crazy to pay for lessons for pitching at that age. I do however think every kid should practice pitching with their parent(s). Kids will think they are pitching, which they are, but they are actually learning to catch every time you throw the ball back to them without them really thinking about it. All about getting them reps.

Aug 2, 2019

SMH!!!

Bill
Easy fix. Set a bucket of balls next to the pitchers plate.

Now go make that money!

Aug 2, 2019
Not that it's relevant, but the girl that pitched for DDs 10U team was tearing up rec league 10U in when she was in kindergarten.

Aug 20, 2017
Sit on a bucket, hand her a ball, she throws into net. Over and and over and over for 30 minutes.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

SMH!!!

Bill
and as a side note. If she cant
Catch a simple ground ball back to her she shouldn’t pitch in games.

Sep 29, 2014
But Bill she has three pitches already and is throwing in the high 40s just needs your help to get to the next level. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28