New Professional Softball League Starting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Saw this today and thought it was interesting.

I like that they are trying a more regional/local model instead of trying to go national from the start.

I have said many a time on this forum that this or a similar regional ideas was a better model and if you can build up say 4 or 5 of these in different cities and then play them in a championship against each other at some point, that was worth an attempt to see if it is a sustainable path.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
"Each of the four Athletes Unlimited teams will play three games per week. Teams will be redrafted each week by the four players who accumulated the most points in the previous week, with those points determined according to a new individual scoring system that rewards both team performance and individual achievements.

Money Ball!
jonahhill_a.jpg

Jun 4, 2014
". . . with NPF commissioner Cheri Kempf acting as a senior adviser. "

It's doomed before it gets off the ground if this is the case.

In order for a professional softball league to have any chance at success, two things must happen:

1. It must be on TV. Not just streaming or Flosoftball. TELEVISION.
2. It must be played on softball fields.

Aug 25, 2019
I agree, don't see this succeeding, especially with the setup about drafting every week and such. It says people follow players, not teams, but around this forum, I must be the only one who can only name one player, Monica Abbott. I enjoy watching the college game as much as I can (can't wait for college basketball to be over, more softball!) Bottom line, if women's soccer is not as popular as it should be, with World Cup victories, these league will never fly.

May 16, 2016
Illinois

In order for a professional softball league to have any chance at success, two things must happen:

The games will be played in Rosemont, Illinois. That is where the Chicago Bandits play. This is a softball only stadium. Actually it is a very nice softball stadium.

I agree that the games need to be televised on t.v.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
T.V. Televised would be great!
Heck theres a channel on antenna t.v. broadcasting high school sports.
Maybe the internet 'channels' are market worthy?
Dont know? All those that follow things on their phone/computor?

Seems espn would/might/could have an interest do to the #'s watching college and World Series.

Hmmmm?
What came first the chicken or the egg?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2010
Alabama

I said the same thing when I initially heard about it. With Kempf involved it has no chance. What other major sports league would have a commisioner that has allowed the league to be so stagnant for years?

To be successful any league needs to have a TV contract and build a team following. I think the NPF could be successful with a regional model and could actually grow in size. Divide into regions to reduce travel costs and let region champions meet for a championship tourney. Give teams first access to college players or hometown players from the geographic region. Would teams based in SoCal not draw fans if they were stocked with college players from that area? Heck why isn't there a team in SoCal or even Atlanta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802