New NFS time between inning rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 15, 2021
I don't understand what the big hurry is. Why does it really matter if it takes 84 minutes or 92 minutes to finish the game. If it is that important drop an inning or set a drop dead time or whatever, or better yet just let them play and let the people in a that big of a hurry do something else. .
Where I see it mostly enforced is during tournaments where many games are played on the same field the whole day and it's not drop dead, but no new. The ripple effect of delays from morning to evening can add up.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Where I see it mostly enforced is during tournaments where many games are played on the same field the whole day and it's not drop dead, but no new. The ripple effect of delays from morning to evening can add up.
I totally understand tournaments and agree. But for the most part we are playing stand alone games with no reason to be in a rush to get done.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
The question I have is what is the hurry? I get it when there is a doubleheader or being worried about darkness but is there a big problem with a 1 1/2 hour game that someone said we need to strictly enforce this rule?

You go to a 7 inning baseball game and it takes 2 1/2 hours and no one seems to be in a hurry. If it was 30 seconds longer we are talking what, 3.5 more minutes per game.

As far as coaching goes I guess is should have said refocusing or correcting something that may have gone wrong.
Yeah, I guess I was only bringing up the infrequent case of getting games in before darkness, and raising questions of how much stuff that goes on in-between innings is necessary. Personally, I have no problem with length of games. They are still considerably shorter than baseball games.

Jan 22, 2011
Did my first High School game tonight. When my partner and I were discussing things in the parking lot, he said after the first inning he was enforcing "60/20/10" and he did. Called for balls in 60 seconds after the last out. He made sure the pitcher pitched within 20 seconds. Called one strike on a batter for not being in the box ready within 10 seconds after he directed her to be.

Jan 22, 2011
I don't understand what the big hurry is. Why does it really matter if it takes 84 minutes or 92 minutes to finish the game. If it is that important drop an inning or set a drop dead time or whatever, or better yet just let them play and let the people in a that big of a hurry do something else. .
Because you let them dawdle, its 3 minutes, sometimes 4 minutes in-between half innings. Of the top of my head that is 12 to 18 minutes more a game.

The game is supposed to be 7 innings. There are no commercials during a high school softball game, there is homework to get done after the game.

The game I did today took 89 minutes for a 4.5 inning run limit game.

May 29, 2015
Not a new rule at all. Yes, I have called it before.

I'm going to paraphrase this from a recent post I made on another forum: When the catcher comes off the bases, heads to the dugout, and sits down. Then she has to go argue with mom over what flavor of Gatorade (I wanted Blue flavored!), then visit with grandma ... meanwhile the 4 coaches look like the King of the Hill gang (Yup.) standing around ... nobody is coming out to warm up the pitcher ... Nope. Not doing this. Not waiting 5 minutes for hte catcher to START getting ready and then thinking we are getting five warm up pitches and a catcher throw down to 2nd base (NOTE: there is NO rule that says a ctacher gets a throw down) and THEN the team is going to huddle up for some socializing (Did you see on Tik Tok who he's dating now!?) and a chicken sacrifice.

If you are looking at game times, you are looking at it wrong. It is about pace of play.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Simple answer from an umpire point of view:

1) It is the rule and has been for a long time.

2) It is a Point of Emphasis this year.

3) I know I am lucky if I get one game in a season where a supervisor/evaluator is looking at me and my partner for Regional/State final selection and I am not going to lose that because YOU coach, think you deserve some special consideration.

Since I do not know WHICH game the evaluator is at, I am enforcing all rules within the spirit of the game at all times.

P.S. If you as a coach/parent want to "just let the girls play" you can do that on a weekend where YOU give them all of the time in the world and choose which rules you and they want enforced and ignored.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Not a new rule at all. Yes, I have called it before.

I'm going to paraphrase this from a recent post I made on another forum: When the catcher comes off the bases, heads to the dugout, and sits down. Then she has to go argue with mom over what flavor of Gatorade (I wanted Blue flavored!), then visit with grandma ... meanwhile the 4 coaches look like the King of the Hill gang (Yup.) standing around ... nobody is coming out to warm up the pitcher ... Nope. Not doing this. Not waiting 5 minutes for hte catcher to START getting ready and then thinking we are getting five warm up pitches and a catcher throw down to 2nd base (NOTE: there is NO rule that says a ctacher gets a throw down) and THEN the team is going to huddle up for some socializing (Did you see on Tik Tok who he's dating now!?) and a chicken sacrifice.

If you are looking at game times, you are looking at it wrong. It is about pace of play.
Simple answer from an umpire point of view:

1) It is the rule and has been for a long time.

2) It is a Point of Emphasis this year.

3) I know I am lucky if I get one game in a season where a supervisor/evaluator is looking at me and my partner for Regional/State final selection and I am not going to lose that because YOU coach, think you deserve some special consideration.

Since I do not know WHICH game the evaluator is at, I am enforcing all rules within the spirit of the game at all times.

P.S. If you as a coach/parent want to "just let the girls play" you can do that on a weekend where YOU give them all of the time in the world and choose which rules you and they want enforced and ignored.
The problem I have with this is it was not enforced in the past. If a rule is a rule why was it not enforced prior to this? What changed?? Just like some of the pitching rules (Leaping, replanting) some choose not to enforce.

I agree the game needs to move along, but do we need to put a stop watch on a softball game?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812