New NFS time between inning rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Question,
The WIAA ( Wisconsin’s sports body) has implemented a new NFS rule stating that teams only have one minute between innings to be ready for the next.

What is the reasoning behind this rule (Games move right along in about an hour and a half)? And who brought this “Issue” to light?

We are loosing coaching time between innings and that hurts the players.

Jan 22, 2011
As long as I’ve been coaching (2005) that has been the ASA/USA Softball rule. It’s an existing NFHS rule and a point of emphasis by NFHS this year. After the second inning if the catcher takes longer than a minute to get out there, the catcher receives 1 pitch, then it’s balls in, when I umpire.

Time Between Innings
As a point of emphasis, umpires and coaches should pay strict attention to the 60-second time limit between half-innings. In accordance with Rule 6-2-5, at the beginning of each half-inning no more than one minute may be used to deliver no more than five pitches to the catcher or other teammate. The one-minute time limit begins from the third out of the previous half-inning. A pitcher returning to the pitching position in the same half-inning will not be granted any Warm-up pitches. Umpires may authorize more pitches during inclement weather or if a pitcher was removed due to injury or by rule

ART. 5 ... At the beginning of each half-inning or when a pitcher relieves another, no more than one minute may be used to deliver no more than five pitches to the catcher or other teammate. The one-minute time limit begins from the third out of the previous half-inning. Play shall be suspended during this time.

NOTES:
1. A pitcher returning in the same half inning will not be granted any warm-up pitches.

2. Umpire is authorized to allow more pitches when weather is inclement or if pitcher was removed by rule or due to an injury.

PENALTY: (Art. 5) For excessive warm-up pitches, a pitcher shall be penalized by awarding a ball to the batter for each pitch in excess of five. This does not apply if the umpire delays the start of play due to substitution, conference, injuries, etc.

Jan 22, 2011
Balls awarded if defense not ready and strikes awarded to batter if offense not ready. Only seen a strike called on a batter once when she wasn’t ready in time when I was coaching.

A good team will have a coach or bench player ready to warmup pitcher. One time my DD received 4 pitches then stood up and told the Blue the catcher was almost ready. That is why a backup catcher not in the game should always have her legs on.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Holding strict to one minute after recording of the third out could get tight if any combination of P/C are on base, inning ends. Hustle back to dugout, drop offensive gear, grab defensive gear, quick drink, head out. Catcher can't make it in time, gotta have back-up catcher/coach ready to take pitches.

This really raises the question of how valuable is all the in-between inning rituals?

Five pitches? As the game wore on my DD would work her way down to one in-between innings. Not saying that's for everyone, it's just what she did.
Catcher only gets one throw-down.
How valuable are those infield ground balls thrown by 1st base?
Outfield tossed fly balls? Does any outfielder miss a fly ball and blame it on not enough reps between the 3rd and 4th innings?
Coaching players; is there much to say to adapt to how the game is going, or should the coaching have been done in practice? It's time to play.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
In our state (at least outside of metro areas) we've seen a lot of teams move toward double headers with conference opponents instead of home and home series on different days. This cuts down on travel expenses and schools are always looking for ways to trim budgets. Most schools do not have lights, so getting both games in before dark can occasionally be a concern in the early part of the season. Trimming time out of 14 in-between inning sessions could add up.

Aug 15, 2021
I have been hearing more comments on speeding up the game this past year. I don't know if anyone listens to the 7 Inning Podcast, but the ladies in the last episode dedicated several minutes to this. They felt college games were getting too long and discussed options like reducing the number of pitches between innings and making the batter keep one foot in the box between pitches. They all seemed to be on the same page that something should be done.

Regarding the 1 minute between innings. I saw this heavily enforced in last years PGF and intermittently in HS this season.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Holding strict to one minute after recording of the third out could get tight if any combination of P/C are on base, inning ends. Hustle back to dugout, drop offensive gear, grab defensive gear, quick drink, head out. Catcher can't make it in time, gotta have back-up catcher/coach ready to take pitches.

This really raises the question of how valuable is all the in-between inning rituals?

Five pitches? As the game wore on my DD would work her way down to one in-between innings. Not saying that's for everyone, it's just what she did.
Catcher only gets one throw-down.
How valuable are those infield ground balls thrown by 1st base?
Outfield tossed fly balls? Does any outfielder miss a fly ball and blame it on not enough reps between the 3rd and 4th innings?
Coaching players; is there much to say to adapt to how the game is going, or should the coaching have been done in practice? It's time to play.
The question I have is what is the hurry? I get it when there is a doubleheader or being worried about darkness but is there a big problem with a 1 1/2 hour game that someone said we need to strictly enforce this rule?

You go to a 7 inning baseball game and it takes 2 1/2 hours and no one seems to be in a hurry. If it was 30 seconds longer we are talking what, 3.5 more minutes per game.

As far as coaching goes I guess is should have said refocusing or correcting something that may have gone wrong.

May 13, 2021
I don't understand what the big hurry is. Why does it really matter if it takes 84 minutes or 92 minutes to finish the game. If it is that important drop an inning or set a drop dead time or whatever, or better yet just let them play and let the people in a that big of a hurry do something else. .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812