New Head Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Not quite yet. I’m going to skewer some obfuscation first.

Unfortunately if you don’t win you won’t be around long.

lol. Based on what? You are repeating the backstop version of what some refer to as an old wives tale. I could post a list as long as my arm of long term non-performing college sb coaches.

Doing things the right way takes patience, intelligence, and the ability to do more with less. EVERYBODY needs to play by the same rules.

True. That’s why some coaches.... well they still have jobs.

Once again this post was about hiring a successful coach with big name recognition to jump start a program.

Famous and infamous are two different things.

Wasn’t intended to be a sounding board/soap box for opinions on what some of you say disgraced former coach.

But it did. Because good people despise cheaters, rule breakers and weirdos.

And by my count 100% of posters whose handle doesn’t rhyme with “bad handit” think he’s a loser whose career was pulled out of File 13 only for him to screw it up again.

Apr 28, 2019
Not quite yet. I’m going to skewer some obfuscation first.

lol. Based on what? You are repeating the backstop version of what some refer to as an old wives tale. I could post a list as long as my arm of long term non-performing college sb coaches.

True. That’s why some coaches.... well they still have jobs.

Famous and infamous are two different things.

But it did. Because good people despise cheaters, rule breakers and weirdos.

And by my count 100% of posters whose handle doesn’t rhyme with “bad handit” think he’s a loser whose career was pulled out of File 13 only for him to screw it up again.
Must be nice to think your above reproach and judge, jury, & executioner to boot. Get over yourself.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
some of you say disgraced former coach.

Literally everyone but you.

Sure, originally you posted about a name recognition coach but you don't even know enough about college coaches to know that your example isn't a name recognition coach but someone who not only failed softball but also should have been stopped by the multiple colleges and people who KNEW. There wasn't a lot of surprise in the community when it happened - maybe the scale of it and the details - but people knew. People still sent their very talented D1 level kids to play for him.

You have a DAUGHTER playing SOFTBALL. Casually dismissing what Meyers and his family did? You need to get with it because it could very easily become your daughter - it happens in travel as well. There are many scumbags that people EXCUSE because 'they know softball' or 'they win games'. You need to know the signs. Know how to look behind the curtains. Know the red flags. You need to know how to not be blinded by empty promises or BS. Learn from those who have done this before. Basically get educated.

There is a university not far from me that has ZERO girls from our region - and I live in a highly talent filled region. They HAVE to recruit out of state because everyone knows the coach here and the word is out. It doesn't take much to background check this person and find some of the dirt. But hey, softball huh. Travel programs in this region advise their players NOT to go to the school.
The college knows - or should know - but they have done nothing yet despite ANOTHER incident last season similar to what got them run out of their last job. Still, there is a roster of 20 girls this person 'coaches'.

One person who runs one of the major Florida travel programs... The story is unpleasant and I am being nice... Everyone knows it. Yet parents still send their kids to the program....they still have teams in 12U to 18U where this person coaches and has regular contact with the players. It is creepy beyond creepy.

Another 'resigned' their coaching job - and went back to running a travel program. College totally swept what they did under the rug - but we all know. Still have teams. Still coaches.

Apr 28, 2019
Literally everyone but you.

Sure, originally you posted about a name recognition coach but you don't even know enough about college coaches to know that your example isn't a name recognition coach but someone who not only failed softball but also should have been stopped by the multiple colleges and people who KNEW. There wasn't a lot of surprise in the community when it happened - maybe the scale of it and the details - but people knew. People still sent their very talented D1 level kids to play for him.

You have a DAUGHTER playing SOFTBALL. Casually dismissing what Meyers and his family did? You need to get with it because it could very easily become your daughter - it happens in travel as well. There are many scumbags that people EXCUSE because 'they know softball' or 'they win games'. You need to know the signs. Know how to look behind the curtains. Know the red flags. You need to know how to not be blinded by empty promises or BS. Learn from those who have done this before. Basically get educated.

There is a university not far from me that has ZERO girls from our region - and I live in a highly talent filled region. They HAVE to recruit out of state because everyone knows the coach here and the word is out. It doesn't take much to background check this person and find some of the dirt. But hey, softball huh. Travel programs in this region advise their players NOT to go to the school.
The college knows - or should know - but they have done nothing yet despite ANOTHER incident last season similar to what got them run out of their last job. Still, there is a roster of 20 girls this person 'coaches'.

One person who runs one of the major Florida travel programs... The story is unpleasant and I am being nice... Everyone knows it. Yet parents still send their kids to the program....they still have teams in 12U to 18U where this person coaches and has regular contact with the players. It is creepy beyond creepy.

Another 'resigned' their coaching job - and went back to running a travel program. College totally swept what they did under the rug - but we all know. Still have teams. Still coaches.
Once again the post was about getting a big name coach to get our local college back to being very competitive. Not interested in bashing somebody I never met or don’t know the full story about.
All of your comments make me wonder what he did wrong when he coached baseball.
Thanks for the article you sent from ESPN W.
My take away from the article was the older son was mentally abusing a couple of players and making inappropriate comments of a sexual/physical nature to others.
The article never really revealed what the father knew and when he knew it. It would appear he had to know something due to the team kind of policing themselves and ostracizing a couple of women/players that were known to be closer to the assistant coach than should be allowed.
I have to wonder at what point do the players that know something wrong is taking place act and remove themselves from a toxic/threatening environment.
Not to place any blame on the victims of course but with scandals in other sports in the not so recent past there have to be warning signs/red flags to get the hell out of Dodge.
The article mentioned that the older son was asked to leave/fired from ASU because he was using the school for personal reasons to promote other interests.
You die hards must be privy to more info than I have seen. I’m not interested in the Meyer’s family history. I’ll defer to you guys that they are not fit to coach. End of story.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
You die hards must be privy to more info than I have seen. I’m not interested in the Meyer’s family history. I’ll defer to you guys that they are not fit to coach. End of story.

Well I expected that you would go beyond one article I posted, yes. You know - because you have a DD playing softball.
I didn't expect to have to spoon feed you. I expected you to be interested. Travel you TRUST these coaches with your kids some of the time - but many don't travel every week with their kids. At college you trust them for 4 years AWAY from you for the first time in most cases.

Among other things:
Corey (married) was sleeping and pursuing relationships with multiple players. Again. Inappropriate relationships is the way it was phrased.
They were treating players differently based on who was supporting and who wasn't - or who Corey 'rated well'
Daddy coordinated efforts and tried to intimidate and force the players to support Corey. Still wanted Corey to coach.
University failed to follow up on several formal complaints.
University didn't due diligence on what happened at ASU
There was several threats to players on what would happen to them if things became public.
Various Title IX stuff

Despite all this, Clint still tried to get back in to the game with his sons. He still doesn't understand what happened was wrong.

Feb 17, 2015
USA
Does anyone have any info/comments on Uconn’s new hire Laura Valentino?
I read her Bio but that doesn’t tell the whole story.
Honestly I was hoping for a high profile coach. Like the guy who coached ASU and then Auburn a few years ago. Had success wherever he has been. One of his sons on Staff got in hot water by dating/harassing players. Drawing a blank on the name.

Hey Clint, is this you?

Mar 13, 2010
Can’t believe I just read 3 pages of someone trying to defend a coach ‘because he won’ when said coach allowed his players to be harassed, coereced into sexual relationships (and women not playing because they won’t sleep with one of the coaches IS coercion)

There are just some men who don’t care about the women in their lives. So glad to see the wonderful exceptions here arguing the good fight.

Mar 28, 2014
Can’t believe I just read 3 pages of someone trying to defend a coach ‘because he won’ when said coach allowed his players to be harassed, coereced into sexual relationships (and women not playing because they won’t sleep with one of the coaches IS coercion)

There are just some men who don’t care about the women in their lives. So glad to see the wonderful exceptions here arguing the good fight.
What you read was a person incapable of admitting he is uneducated about a subject and subsequently willing to make himself look even worse by defending someone that most people would call a monster. Unbelievable that someone would go that far to avoid saying he doesn't know anything about the sport that he acts like he knows so much about.

Apr 28, 2019

Nobody’s defending anybody.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
What you read was a person incapable of admitting he is uneducated about a subject and subsequently willing to make himself look even worse by defending someone that most people would call a monster. Unbelievable that someone would go that far to avoid saying he doesn't know anything about the sport that he acts like he knows so much about.

Well this dude just joined DFW a few months ago and has 500+ posts, so you must know that "he knows everything about fastpitch softball". OMG, have you heard him/her talk about his absolute knowledge of each and every bat produced in the past 3 years, and his 14 year old "national team" TB kid hits 275 ft bombs on a regular basis, even though she's only 5'2, but she has a by-god cannon of an arm for a 2B. My gosh, she's already got a full ride to Florida, Alabama, Washington and Oklahoma, so know he's just scouting out UConn hoping she gets a offer from them, because they are so awesome.

Why in the heck would he ever listen to any of us DFW old timers, when he know's everything there is to know? And I think I speak for the entire DFW group by saying, MadBandit22 you are our hero.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802