New Guidelines For The Team ~ What will your team do? What to expect.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I added to my post but no I agree it is not the same. So before I discuss any further, is your stance nobody should be playing sports right now? If so then there is no point talking further about this.
Slowly and monitor.. as you know from previous discussions my DD hung up the cleats this year. Talk about heartbreak :). So I can understand how people are feeling, I love ball, love watching the game, love watching the girls progress, etc. But health and welfare of my family, those around me, and supporting the ones in our society who put themselves at risk to protect us all is paramount to me. Everyone has to do their part. If a sports organization did not have the proper mitigation and monitoring in place to deal with this pandemic, then no, our family would not participate.

Jun 8, 2016
Slowly and monitor.. as you know from previous discussions my DD hung up the cleats this year. Talk about heartbreak :). So I can understand how people are feeling, I love ball, love watching the game, love watching the girls progress, etc. But health and welfare of my family, those around me, and supporting the ones in our society who put themselves at risk to protect us all is paramount to me. Everyone has to do their part. If a sports organization did not have the proper mitigation and monitoring in place to deal with this pandemic, then no, our family would not participate.
Yeah like I said, risk mitigation strategies which don't effect the game are good. You initially responded to a post of mine where I never said (nor meant to imply) otherwise...

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
I am not sure anyone argued against risk mitigation. Of course there should and will be new guidelines everyone must follow, in every aspect of our lives.

I think where some disagree is to the extent of those guidelines. To me a spotter at practice monitoring face touching is a bit much. That person could be better served cleaning/disinfecting equipment.

To the point of a child carrying something they picked up at practice back to a friend of a friend that knows someone who is at risk, well I am not sure on that one. You need to evaluate your own situation and decide accordingly. Life is still life, you never know where or when. Risk mitigation yes, fear of every situation no. I know your point is those who do not follow guidelines but how can you control every families decisions. You just have to make the decisions you feel are best for your family. If that means your daughter doesn’t play or play on a certain team because you don’t feel their risk mitigation is not sufficient, then that is your decision.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
ADD
Follow guidelines for all the people in our military now and over the years who have put others lives befor their own.
That we may contribute to a safer now for them and their families!

May 12, 2016
I am not sure anyone argued against risk mitigation. Of course there should and will be new guidelines everyone must follow, in every aspect of our lives.

I think where some disagree is to the extent of those guidelines. To me a spotter at practice monitoring face touching is a bit much. That person could be better served cleaning/disinfecting equipment.

To the point of a child carrying something they picked up at practice back to a friend of a friend that knows someone who is at risk, well I am not sure on that one. You need to evaluate your own situation and decide accordingly. Life is still life, you never know where or when. Risk mitigation yes, fear of every situation no. I know your point is those who do not follow guidelines but how can you control every families decisions. You just have to make the decisions you feel are best for your family. If that means your daughter doesn’t play or play on a certain team because you don’t feel their risk mitigation is sufficient, then that is your decision.
I believe the initial post I responded to was in regards to high fives, shaking hands, etc etc. Can we not play the game without that? It was the comments about keeping kids away from Grandma and Grandpa... if we can do that then it would be ok to shake hands, high fives etc. Then I made a comment that not every kid is fortunate enough to live in a healthy household. Somebody said then they shouldn't play.. why not all follow the guidelines so we don't have to exclude kids who really want to play just as much as your DD. It's about more than just your current family. The decisions we make for our family trickles downstream and impacts the overall process and experience. It's not about letting fear rule our lives, it's about learning to live in the current moment and being smart about it.

May 12, 2016
Yeah like I said, risk mitigation strategies which don't effect the game are good. You initially responded to a post of mine where I never said (nor meant to imply) otherwise...
I hear ya, I responded initially to the ignorance of mitigation strategies.. I think what I initially said was lost in the history of the thread. Again though.. my stance is mitigation strategies should be put in place, number 1 reason to keep people safe and healthy, if they affect the integrity of the game, then more discussion is needed.

Oct 14, 2019
It will be interesting to see what happens if and when school starts back in August. We can mitigate and exercise caution but this virus is here to stay and we’re going to have to live with it. I keep hearing the word “safe” used on this board but there is no safe.

Jun 8, 2016
It will be interesting to see what happens if and when school starts back in August. We can mitigate and exercise caution but this virus is here to stay and we’re going to have to live with it. I keep hearing the word “safe” used on this board but there is no safe.
If the definition of safe is zero risk, then nothing you do in life is safe. Heck I could die from drinking a glass of water ;)

With regards to school, being in a closed in school would likely carry more risk then playing softball but education is more important than softball so the "reward" is higher. Not having in-person classes lessons the reward for some (for depressing/heartbreaking reasons in some cases) but reduces the risk, at least in terms of catching the virus.

When people try to make reasonable decisions that is all they are doing, evaluating the risk/reward ratio of a certain action and then deciding based upon their own criteria of what that ratio should be. The caveat is that in order to evaluate risk, information is needed and the uncertainty of all of this is what is making the decisions so difficult for some. Nobody has issues playing during flu season because we have a good idea of what the risk is..

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020
The point of social distancing was never -- NEVER -- to try to prevent any/everyone from getting infected. That's a fool's errand. The disease is in cats, which means it's in squirrels and rats. it's not going away, and we simply can't prevent people from coming in contact with it. The point was to prevent the hospital system from getting overrun with too many cases at once. When we -- us, politicians, celebrities, everyone -- was thinking rationally abut this, that was a good plan. it's morphed into this general idea of trying to stop an invisible, sometimes airborne disease from ever touching anyone.

But the idea that we can prevent a microscopic organism that is already in the ecosystem from spreading is ludicrous. It's scientifically impossible. If the concern is going to be "because someone might catch it", then we really do need to call it quits for the society we know and figure out what we do next.

Shutting down softball won't stop it. Keeping schools closed won't stop it. Lines to get into the grocery store wont' stop it. If you don't get it this summer, you'll likely get it in the fall. And if not in the fall, then in the winter or maybe next spring. It's going to take a LONG time to develop a vaccine or an anti-viral, and nobody wants to be the first batch of those.

So if your idea is that we should wait until the danger passes, the danger is not passing. I'm a sailor -- when bad weather is coming at seas, you shorten your sails, you get ready to heave to. But you eventually have to ride out the storm. We keep thinking that if we wait long enough or wear masks or stay away from each other the virus will just go away.

It won't. We need to stop thinking it will.

Oct 14, 2019
The point of social distancing was never -- NEVER -- to try to prevent any/everyone from getting infected. That's a fool's errand. The disease is in cats, which means it's in squirrels and rats. it's not going away, and we simply can't prevent people from coming in contact with it. The point was to prevent the hospital system from getting overrun with too many cases at once. When we -- us, politicians, celebrities, everyone -- was thinking rationally abut this, that was a good plan. it's morphed into this general idea of trying to stop an invisible, sometimes airborne disease from ever touching anyone.

But the idea that we can prevent a microscopic organism that is already in the ecosystem from spreading is ludicrous. It's scientifically impossible. If the concern is going to be "because someone might catch it", then we really do need to call it quits for the society we know and figure out what we do next.

Shutting down softball won't stop it. Keeping schools closed won't stop it. Lines to get into the grocery store wont' stop it. If you don't get it this summer, you'll likely get it in the fall. And if not in the fall, then in the winter or maybe next spring. It's going to take a LONG time to develop a vaccine or an anti-viral, and nobody wants to be the first batch of those.

So if your idea is that we should wait until the danger passes, the danger is not passing. I'm a sailor -- when bad weather is coming at seas, you shorten your sails, you get ready to heave to. But you eventually have to ride out the storm. We keep thinking that if we wait long enough or wear masks or stay away from each other the virus will just go away.

It won't. We need to stop thinking it will.

Finally a voice of reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom