New college programs in 2019 or 2020

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Anybody know which schools are adding softball programs in the next couple years? Is there a site out there that tracks this sort of thing?

I have a couple juniors/seniors who are fringe-y college players, but they do have interest in playing in college. I think they could find a place at a school with a new program, probably at a lower level of play (I won't say D3 since I know some D3 schools are better than D1). I figure most brand new programs are not going to get the top players right away.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Have you thought about starting at a JUCO and having them transfer later on? The JUCO in my area is adding a program but I'm not sure if it starts in 2019 or 2020. The newly minted Coach is a friend. I could find out for you if your interested. Eastern Gateway Community College is the schools name.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Anybody know which schools are adding softball programs in the next couple years? Is there a site out there that tracks this sort of thing?
I have a couple juniors/seniors who are fringe-y college players, but they do have interest in playing in college. I think they could find a place at a school with a new program, probably at a lower level of play (I won't say D3 since I know some D3 schools are better than D1). I figure most brand new programs are not going to get the top players right away.

Honestly the best place to see all the programs that exist is on the NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA sites and then do your research from there. Got to match up the education and the program - if you can find their major and a team going 5-30 it is worth looking into further. I wouldn't be focused on 'new' programs - I would be focused on programs where there is a recent history of not being all that great.

'New' programs are actually just as all over the place as others - and are dependent on the school and the school's investment and it is independent of division in many ways. Duke was immediately competitive in D1 - I expect Clemson to be the same when they come on board (though they probably have a harder path). In D3 the new program at Carnegie Melon will be competitive REALLY fast. FTCC look like they are going to be competitive (Hi Crystal) quickly

At the same time there is new teams at places like ASA Miami which are going to struggle and so on.

Nov 18, 2013
They’ll have more options with existing D3 and JUCO and better odds of finding the right academic fit. You can quickly research to find highly competitive vs schools they can just walk on. A new program is likely to be without fields, facilities and the support you’d expect in a college program.

What do you mean by “fringey”? Talent wise there’s a fit for everyone in college. They have to be all-in though no matter what level they’re playing or they won’t last long.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
What do you mean by “fringey”? Talent wise there’s a fit for everyone in college. They have to be all-in though no matter what level they’re playing or they won’t last long.

They fit into two different categories. The first: Tons of potential but very raw because they didn't start playing softball (and in some cases, any sport at all) until high school, and now they only play with me. If they had people at home working with them, got on good travel teams, etc. they could probably develop into pretty good players. I do my best with them, but I am limited by both rules and how much time there is in the day to work with them.

The second group: A couple players who know the game, have talent, but don't have the talent of elite players. They've played before, but only rec league/all-stars. They might be overmatched for a while, but I think they would adjust to better competition. Even at their best, they're not superstars.

I think in both cases, their best chance to play in college is to find a school that, essentially, just needs players. And of course academics come first, but for those who have expressed interest in playing at the next level, I'd like to be able to send them some a list of some schools to check out.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I think in both cases, their best chance to play in college is to find a school that, essentially, just needs players. And of course academics come first, but for those who have expressed interest in playing at the next level, I'd like to be able to send them some a list of some schools to check out.

I will add to what I wrote above - you may want to also look at club softball as an option. That is all just sign up once you are on campus.

In most cases the NCAA/NAIA schools I mentioned above who are not deeply committed to softball and live on walk-ons. Even if they play a division which allows athletic scholarships they probably don't have them funded.

Feb 12, 2015
Honestly the best place to see all the programs that exist is on the NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA sites and then do your research from there. Got to match up the education and the program - if you can find their major and a team going 5-30 it is worth looking into further. I wouldn't be focused on 'new' programs - I would be focused on programs where there is a recent history of not being all that great.

'New' programs are actually just as all over the place as others - and are dependent on the school and the school's investment and it is independent of division in many ways. Duke was immediately competitive in D1 - I expect Clemson to be the same when they come on board (though they probably have a harder path). In D3 the new program at Carnegie Melon will be competitive REALLY fast. FTCC look like they are going to be competitive (Hi Crystal) quickly

At the same time there is new teams at places like ASA Miami which are going to struggle and so on.

You will have an easier road to finding these sites and programs through the NFCA site. Here's the link:

https://nfca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6249&Itemid=176

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28