New coach wants to straighten arm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The keys are (1) hand behind ball at 12 and (2) elbow leading the ball. The exact amount of bend depends on the pitcher.

Attached is Amanda Scarborough at 12. Amanda was one of the best. Do what she does, and your DD will be OK.

Attachments

• scarboough12.JPG
    scarboough12.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 21
Sep 29, 2014
Is she working with a pitching coach? If so, I think a simple conversation with her team coach that says we are seeing a pitching coach and she has shown continuous improvement and I don't want her to get confusing signals, if she is not performing, hitting her spots etc. maybe we can readdress.

I am all she has i have bought dvds watched videos put videos on DFP for analysis. Been using huddle technique app to really break down mechanics and I have her looking good with good velocity 52 mph shes 13 getting better at movement. And she has started counting how many times she misses her spots in an inning. It’s usually 2-4 so you can understand why I am frustrated when new coach wants to just start changing stuff without even analyzing a video of her. Thanks for the input guys we will not be straitening our arm she may have to smile and nod until I can present some Internal rotation information and pictures of Abbot,Finch,and countless others that have a bend in their elbow and ball is up or at least facing 3rd at 9 o'clock

Apr 12, 2015
most men's clips I see seem to incorporate a slight pause around 12 o'clock (like in the Hillhouse logo). Is this a timing mechanism that's compensating for the re-plant?

Bingo. The hitch in the arm is a sure-fire way to spot the crow hop, which is legal in the men's game.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I've been wondering about something similar regarding the arm circle. Maybe it's just a remnant of HE instruction that focuses on a straighter arm, but female pitchers seem to focus on whipping the arm around the full circle, while most men's clips I see seem to incorporate a slight pause around 12 o'clock (like in the Hillhouse logo). Is this a timing mechanism that's compensating for the re-plant?

Should arm speed be consistent (are as close to consistent as possible) the whole way around the circle?

This has a lot to do with the leap. Someone here pointed this out recently but I cant find the post. Had video confirmation that looked to be accurate,

Mar 20, 2015
I have been down that road and if this is only the second practice I would nip this in the bud before the coach starts to feel they have ownership of her pitching mechanics and then it will end badly. The problem you will face is that if you say that you are your DDs coach they will immediately assume they know more and will start giving her even more "help". Best to just say she is seeing a PC and this is what they teach and you don't want to confuse her. If he asks provide one of the top names here or a Tincher coach as her PC. I have also heard Tincher advocate a bent arm at 1200 in a lesson.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I have been down that road and if this is only the second practice I would nip this in the bud before the coach starts to feel they have ownership of her pitching mechanics and then it will end badly. The problem you will face is that if you say that you are your DDs coach they will immediately assume they know more and will start giving her even more "help". Best to just say she is seeing a PC and this is what they teach and you don't want to confuse her. If he asks provide one of the top names here or a Tincher coach as her PC. I have also heard Tincher advocate a bent arm at 1200 in a lesson.
I can't agree with this more! Seems like most coaches would rather you see some local PC who may or may not know what the heck they are doing than accept that a Mom or Dad would have any knowledge or support when it comes to mechanics. Heaven help you if she goes through a rough time working on mechanics, recovering from an injury or a growth spurt. Stick to your guns on this, it's the long term that you're interested in NOT winning next weeks local tourney.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Laphoneman,

She's the newbie, so a little scrutiny comes with the territory. Coach of the year is a good start and your intuition supports that. D1 assistants will be hit & miss, just like they are as players.

Normally, you'll find the relationship between player and coaches takes a few practices to develop. It's common to hit the panic button a little too early.

Important that she's a great teammate. Both you're daughter and you must feel comfortable asking questions about skills or terminology differences. Your daughter should experience unconditional access to her coaches, while yours will obviously be more appropriate for a parent.

In terms of mechanics, it depends on who you ask. Rather than posting my personal opinion, I'll post you the following video. If your daughter is at least a partial proponent of Bill's instruction, you should find this example provides you both the opportunity to collect some data.

Side Note: Listen closely and you'll also hear the distinctive connection of "brush interference".

Chris

May 22, 2013
Didn’t read al the post but you want a loose arm with elbow leading into the hip area and getting brush interference to transfer energy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45