New coach wants to straighten arm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Joining new team 2nd practice coach wants arm to be straight at 12 I have been trying to get more bend in elbow. Am I just paranoid or should I expect next suggestion to be ball down at 9. It seems to be a well coached team, coach got 5A coach of the year, 2 D1 assistants. Team needs another pitcher. I don’t want to be that know it all parent so trying to keep mouth closed. Tried to post pictures of form but said to large.

Nov 8, 2018
Straight at the top is one thing. Straight at the bottom is another. The later would be a deal breaker. No? Can’t ir , can’t whip, can’t lag. Etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We model abbott and finch for most part Hillhouse has got us out of back swing keeping it simple and the picture im trying to post has about exact same angle as above pic of finch. I have never really paid much attention to 12 more focused on 9 thru 3

Nov 8, 2018
We model abbott and finch for most part Hillhouse has got us out of back swing keeping it simple and the picture im trying to post has about exact same angle as above pic of finch. I have never really paid much attention to 12 more focused on 9 thru 3

Abbott , Finch and Hillhouse. You’re in good company there. Bill would never agree to any straightening of the arm top or bottom.

Nov 8, 2018
I may have to have that hard conversation with the coach before we get to far into this team.

Probably not a bad idea. If they are looking to “change” your dd style. Neither of you will be happy. And then you end up with a coach who feels disrespected or she doesn’t listen. I’ve had that convo with our coaches and basically said how she throws is different. It works for her (which the saw her improvement) and there was nothing about it they could help because they wouldn’t understand it.
It’s a tough position to be in and I’ll be honest I’m not looking forward to next year when my dd heads to hs and may get that coach who says ,” you know if you point that ball down and push it to the plate it will go faster”. I start hearing that and I may flip. Haha. Good luck. Handle the inevitable.

Nov 8, 2018
You can see in my profile picture She has good fsr and hardly any bend in elbow that picture is older I’ve been trying to get more bend and she does now but not much more.

Looks good to me. I would focus on palm up at 9 too.

Nov 18, 2015
Abbott , Finch and Hillhouse. You’re in good company there. Bill would never agree to any straightening of the arm top or bottom.

I've been wondering about something similar regarding the arm circle. Maybe it's just a remnant of HE instruction that focuses on a straighter arm, but female pitchers seem to focus on whipping the arm around the full circle, while most men's clips I see seem to incorporate a slight pause around 12 o'clock (like in the Hillhouse logo). Is this a timing mechanism that's compensating for the re-plant?

Should arm speed be consistent (are as close to consistent as possible) the whole way around the circle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478