New Coach - Need Help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2019
assuming this is fall ball, I think you need to discuss within your org. I am assuming those 9s turned 9 this year (ie so not really almost 10), but in fall ball, even in rec, at least around here, girls should really play the level they will play in spring. fall is for development, they will not develop as much playing against much smaller and less experienced girls. if they are first timers, might be a little different.

Yes, this is fall ball in a rec league. I have a couple of 9 year-olds that will turn 10 in January, so that's almost 10 to me. Several others don't turn 10 until April. The other teams have to play by the same rules and all teams have girls of varying ages too, so I don't really see it as an issue (the rec league talent around here is not the best). Oh, and this team went 0-10 last season and the coach did nothing to develop talent - in fact, the players regressed and 6 of those quit softball. That's why I'm coaching now. ;)

May 6, 2015
Yes, this is fall ball in a rec league. I have a couple of 9 year-olds that will turn 10 in January, so that's almost 10 to me. Several others don't turn 10 until April. The other teams have to play by the same rules and all teams have girls of varying ages too, so I don't really see it as an issue (the rec league talent around here is not the best). Oh, and this team went 0-10 last season and the coach did nothing to develop talent - in fact, the players regressed and 6 of those quit softball. That's why I'm coaching now. ;)
kudos for stepping up! still think maybe the org needs to rethink, if they will be 9 YO at YE, they should play 10u now, to get ready. and anyone who is 11 at YE should be playing 12u this fall, etc.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia

I agree as to discussing playing the girls up to where they will play in the spring. You are not doing them any favors by playing them with 7-8 year olds, even if everyone else is doing it.

I assume your 8U league is coach pitch. All those girls turning 10 (even those who turn 9 this year) will play up to 10U in the spring which is girl pitch. This is the time to prepare them for that (especially pitchers and hitting off of girl pitchers).

We play Dixie here and they just changed the age rules to what age a girl is in August of that season. So my daughter (who is 10 turning 11 in FEB) got to play one season of 10U ball this past year and is now moved up to 12U. :eek: This fall my 12U team consists of (3) 9-year olds, (5) 10-year olds, and (4) 11-year olds. We play other counties and the initial thought is we are playing high schoolers :ROFLMAO:, because they didn't move their girls up.

In the end my girls will be better for it having already adjusted to the 12 inch ball, pitching at 40', and hitting off of faster pitchers. Next spring those other teams will not have all those 12-13 year olds and we will be just fine.

Sep 10, 2019

Very interesting and I can empathize with you a little. Serendipitously, we had a former college softball player, who is also a local teacher, lead one of our practice sessions, and the dynamic was astonishing - every player was listening and totally engaged. Suddenly, they were fielding grounders, catching fly balls, and making prompt plays, which was so different from the slap-stick antics we were seeing. All that regression disappeared in an instant. Later, DD tells me she didn’t like that lady, even though she played 20-levels better. Lol

Sep 18, 2016
I've always found the little girls respond really well to older kids "coaching" as well. If you have any big sisters or brothers who a willing to help out you will see the girls play their very best wanting to be like the big kids.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee