New Coach - Need Help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
although there is very good advice here, you really need to stop being "stressed out." dude/dudette it's 8U! get a grip, learn and teach and teach and learn and enjoy a very enjoyable game.
I agree, but I know from past experience it is hard, there is soooo much you want to teach. focus on fundamentals.

Aug 7, 2019
although there is very good advice here, you really need to stop being "stressed out." dude/dudette it's 8U! get a grip, learn and teach and teach and learn and enjoy a very enjoyable game.
I get that and that is why I posted today to get helpful advice.

Oct 4, 2018
There's so little time to teach the game. And their attention span is very low.

Getting them to look at their base coaches is probably a better use of time than teaching how to tag up. Get them to find you and learn what your wild, vain-on-neck-popping gesticulations mean. :D

"If you see me jumping up and down frantically and waving my arm in a circle, that means run your butt off to the next base."

Nov 18, 2015
You know that Wooden story about how he'd spend 15 minutes at the first practice teaching college kids how to put on their socks?

That's the approach you need. NEVER assume that they know what you're talking about. Pretend you're teaching Martians.

My favorite example:
My rec team was probably 8U at the time - and I wanted to work on just tagging the runner, vs. the foot race to the bag for a force.

Attempt #1: My instructions - Fielder - tag the runner. Runner - try to get to the base. Fielder has ball - base runner runs straight towards the fielder, fielder doesn't move, tags runner.
Attempt #2: My instructions v2 - Runner - yes, you need to run to the base, but try not to let her tag you. Fielder has ball, runner heads toward base/fielder, but detours basically onto OF grass to avoid the tag.
Attempt #3: My instructions v3 - OK - I guess I forgot to explain the concept of what the basepath is - here's what you can and can't do, let's try that again. Fielder again has ball, runner heads toward fielder, runner makes a much smaller arc around fielder, again to OF side. Fielder reaches out and tags her with her glove. Me: "Great job - much better route to the base, nothing you could really do to avoid the tag. Except the runner's still safe. Thank you for reminding me that I forgot to explain a key concept when you tag the runner - YOU NEED TO FIRST PUT THE BALL IN THE GLOVE." (This is where that drinking think comes in handy - just save that for afterwards).

And good luck getting them to form two lines - "split up" can mean 3 groups of 4, a group of 5 and a group of 2, a group of 2 and a semi-circle of 4. The fun part is that they'll surprise you each and every week with different ways to interpret the same instruction.

Sorry - we're really trying not to scare you off. I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice, once we all stop ridiculing whoever it was that thought grouping 6-10YO's together would be a good thing.

Jul 1, 2019
:)
New to this thread. I am a New 8U rec head coach and I am so stressed out! I have age ranges of 6-10 on my team with all different experience/ability levels. Some have never played before and a couple that are really good. I also just found out one of my best players just broke her arm and is out for 4 weeks...ouch! I have really tried to be as organized as possible with practice plans but it is chaos in my eyes. My two main goals going into this season are to have fun and get better. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone have fun drills that can be for all levels?

Thank you so much!
Aerwin2727,
I was you approximately 3 years ago. The fact that you are on here shows that you care about your girls and their development. That's first and foremost! Having 6-10 year olds in the same group definitely presents challenges. For practices you need to have the help of at least 2 other coaches/parents in order to break them up in to smaller groups based on skill level and to make it less chaotic.

For the younger inexperienced ones I recommend this video (it worked great for my daughters/teams). Very basic and can be done at home/with parents:
Throwing and Catching for beginners

Best of luck with your season!

Feb 20, 2019
I have an 8U team consisting of a 7 year-old (almost 8) who is playing in her 4th season of 8U, and several 9 year-olds (almost 10) playing softball for the first time, along with several 8 year-olds. The talent level really isn't all that different. The knowledge of the rules, fundamental basics like throwing/hitting mechanics and overall unsterstanding of the game is really where the gaps lie. I've engaged the parents to put in extra time with their daughters outside of practice by teaching the parents some basic drills and providing instructional videos. I've focused my time during practices on developing each player's knowledge of the game and customizing instruction on that players individual needs. It's a lot of work, but seeing the look on their faces when they do something they thought they couldn't is priceless.

Sep 10, 2019
These two activities go over extremely well:

1) pop-fly catching; the entire team trying to catch the same ball. Use a squishy foam type softball.

2) relays teams that involve some aspect of the game. They always try so hard to win a relay race.

May 6, 2015
League goes by ASA age chart. Some of the younger girls chose to play up because t-ball is so boring, and the 9-year olds are playing in their last season of 8U.

assuming this is fall ball, I think you need to discuss within your org. I am assuming those 9s turned 9 this year (ie so not really almost 10), but in fall ball, even in rec, at least around here, girls should really play the level they will play in spring. fall is for development, they will not develop as much playing against much smaller and less experienced girls. if they are first timers, might be a little different.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse