New coach asks for practice help....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I agree with this. Just think about it from his perspective. He is the HC and this other guy who he may of thought offered to "help" out at practice is telling him he is doing everything wrong and how he should change the way he is conducting practice after 20 minutes of being there. I know I wouldn't be pleased about that. I probably would have asked you to either help out or leave.

The best place to have these types of conversations is outside of practice. Give the guy a call or ask if you two can meet on a separate occasions with just a few girls to go over things. But to spring this on him during practice is probably shock and a WTF moment, regardless if his teaching methods were incorrect (which they definitely are).

I would not suggest that you just show up and ask him to coach the first 20 minutes of practice while he observes you. That seems a little insulting and I am not sure he would take that very well. There is clearly a miscommunication. You need to have a talk away from the field and explain your intentions. If he would like your assistance then great, if not then it is what it is.

Fine points.

I'll bet there's a 50/50 chance that if the Original Poster spies on the next practice he'll see this new coach actually doing the things the OP suggested. Some people are just too proud to take the advice immediately but will come to the realization that the advice was good.

Mar 6, 2018
I agree with heman1202. Have the conversion outside of practice. I could see where the head coach could have felt blind sided.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Thanks for all the suggestions and views I had not thought of. I will contact the HC before the next practice I can attend and discuss my role, limitations and possible practice plans going forward.

If I'm not comfortable with it I will wish him good luck and move on.

Jul 15, 2015
Thanks for all the suggestions and views I had not thought of. I will contact the HC before the next practice I can attend and discuss my role, limitations and possible practice plans going forward.

If I'm not comfortable with it I will wish him good luck and move on.

Clear expectations are always great for all parties involved. By the way, kudos for continuing to give back to the game.

Feb 21, 2017
First it is awesome you are willing to go the extra mile and help out people new to the sport, often so much knowledge gets lost when people move on.

As a side thought you may want to think about hosting a couple of clinics vs helping a specific coach which is they way I went about it for this exact reason.

You run 2-3 practices and coaches can come or not. The key is to invite parents and encourage them to stay and participate, I had parents both running and partaking in drills to understand what a drill is teaching. I suggest having a few drills that a parent can do at home 1-on-1. Emphasized the fact if they want Little Susie to zoom to the front of the pack then 1-2x a week at home with 1-on-1 attention means so much.

What I found initially I had small numbers but each week I got more kids and parents. Those parents who came now knew what a good practice entails. It solves the issue where new parents often don’t know what they are looking at when there is a bad coach since they have no frame of reference. Johnny “I know how to run a practice from the stone ages” looks bad and now the parents know it. A couple parents even took the leap and stepped up to help with teams.

I suspect you will get great feedback and your new buddy will look stupid.

CoC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802