New Camera Rig - Mevo Plus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have been recording and live streaming my DD's games for about a year. My rig has included a GoPro 5 and an iPhone 6S.
The iPhone (no cell service) was connected via WiFi hotspot, streaming to FB live. It worked moderately well, as long as I had a strong signal. However, though a WiFi hotspot, that wasn't happening very often, and the result was generally not very good (unstable resolution, frequently dropped connection).

Looking to improve my results, and simplify my gear, I started researching other camera options, and narrowed it down to the GoPro7 and the Mevo Plus. The GoPro 7 struggles badly in the softball environment with connection stability and overheating issues. The Mevo Plus had been recommended by a couple people on this site, and offers some really neat control options in the app. I was hesitant to spring for the full price of the Mevo Plus, but found one on eBay for about 1/2 price, and pulled the trigger.

The Mevo camera connects to the app on your smart phone, which controls all the functions, including some fun options with the field of view. Broadcasting can be done via WiFi or LTE. Connected to the WiFi hotspot on my phone, the results were better than my previous setup, but there were still some stability issues. Connected via LTE, the results have been significantly better. The only downside to using LTE is that the app must remain up front, which prevents using the phone for any other tasks during live streaming. Using WiFi (hotspot or other), allows for navigating away from the app without interrupting the live stream.

For mounting, I like the small format of the Fence Clip, but wanted to build in more adjustability for the variety of fencing sizes and shapes I encounter. I scavenged a couple of parts from a second Fence Clip to create a movable mounting block for vertical adjustment, and stayed with the 15mm rod and fittings for horizontal and rotational adjustment. After testing for the last couple of weekends, I'm pretty happy with my new rig.
14672 14673
The only mounting limitation I will have with this setup will be backstops with netting instead of fencing. I keep a LynkSpyer in my car for those occasions.

Another feature of the Mevo Plus, is that it will livestream up to 1080p to YouTube (720p limit on FB, 540p limit on Periscope). YouTube requires 1000 followers for live streaming from a "mobile device", but the Mevo camera is categorized as a "webcam", which does not have the follower requirement.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Great stuff. Have you had any heat related issues yet? Not sure if you got the Boost as well, but that may be what is causing the majority of heat related problems. But Ethernet to a hotspot sure is handy and very stable.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Great stuff. Have you had any heat related issues yet? Not sure if you got the Boost as well, but that may be what is causing the majority of heat related problems. But Ethernet to a hotspot sure is handy and very stable.

No heat issues, so far. It gets warm, but not excessively. Field temps have been upper-80s to low-90's.

I got the Boost, but prefer to use a power bank for extended battery power due to flexibility in mounting.

I have a MiFi hostpot, but it has limited data. My phone plan has unlimited data.

Jul 29, 2016
Interesting issue on heat - my daughter was playing last week at TC/USA Nationals. My wife and I had to tag-team between days because we couldn't both be away from work. No worries, because they're broadcasting everything through Baller TV.

Wife bough the week-long package for $30 and logged on to watch our 1:00 pm game. Stability issues from the very beginning and then just flat-out failure. I spoke with the Baller TV guy on site, and he said their video set ups (basically iPads connected to transmitter) were overheating and shutting down. It seems Baller TV didn't think about what an afternoon game in July in Georgia would be like.

We got a refund for the $30.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Interesting issue on heat - my daughter was playing last week at TC/USA Nationals. My wife and I had to tag-team between days because we couldn't both be away from work. No worries, because they're broadcasting everything through Baller TV.

Wife bough the week-long package for $30 and logged on to watch our 1:00 pm game. Stability issues from the very beginning and then just flat-out failure. I spoke with the Baller TV guy on site, and he said their video set ups (basically iPads connected to transmitter) were overheating and shutting down. It seems Baller TV didn't think about what an afternoon game in July in Georgia would be like.

We got a refund for the $30.

I don't know if they had the same stability issues for the Colorado Sparkler, but Baller TV was doing the same thing - tablet zip-tied to the fence. It didn't seem like anyone was there to monitor the feeds or equipment. It was warm, but not blazing hot. I had my iPhone shut down a couple of times due to overheating. When you're running the hotspot, and monitoring FB, and charging, it tends to heat up that device a little bit.

Apr 20, 2015
Love our mevo broadcast all summer only 1 day with heat issues with index >100 otherwise we were all good

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Love our mevo broadcast all summer only 1 day with heat issues with index >100 otherwise we were all good

Have you tried anything to shade the Mevo? Recently, I've seen people hanging a baseball hat over their cameras in an effort to keep it cooler.

Apr 20, 2015
I didn't....this was the only time I've had trouble and we've had lots of hot days. This weekend was a heat warning kind of day. Lots of other days in the mid to upper 80s with no issues.

Jul 9, 2016
had a guy from baller tv saying his IPads were all over heated.

Told him to use my cooler. Layed them in on top of plastic for 5 - 10 minutes, heat had reduced and he could broadcast again.

I will place Mevo and Android Samsung Phone in the cooler with battery charging cords attaced.

Once I noticed phone was way to hot while streaming so just placed it in cooler and never stopped streaming.

Samsung 9

Saw one guy last week just place an envelope in front of his phone that was ziptied to the back stop fence facing West as the Sun was to the back of the pitcher and onto the cameras.

Trying to disperse the heat off the phone and just have the lens uncovered.

Seemed to work.

Feel like Temp were over 100F last week in Kansas.

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
I have been recording and live streaming my DD's games for about a year. My rig has included a GoPro 5 and an iPhone 6S.
View attachment 14671
The iPhone (no cell service) was connected via WiFi hotspot, streaming to FB live. It worked moderately well, as long as I had a strong signal. However, though a WiFi hotspot, that wasn't happening very often, and the result was generally not very good (unstable resolution, frequently dropped connection).

Looking to improve my results, and simplify my gear, I started researching other camera options, and narrowed it down to the GoPro7 and the Mevo Plus. The GoPro 7 struggles badly in the softball environment with connection stability and overheating issues. The Mevo Plus had been recommended by a couple people on this site, and offers some really neat control options in the app. I was hesitant to spring for the full price of the Mevo Plus, but found one on eBay for about 1/2 price, and pulled the trigger.

The Mevo camera connects to the app on your smart phone, which controls all the functions, including some fun options with the field of view. Broadcasting can be done via WiFi or LTE. Connected to the WiFi hotspot on my phone, the results were better than my previous setup, but there were still some stability issues. Connected via LTE, the results have been significantly better. The only downside to using LTE is that the app must remain up front, which prevents using the phone for any other tasks during live streaming. Using WiFi (hotspot or other), allows for navigating away from the app without interrupting the live stream.

For mounting, I like the small format of the Fence Clip, but wanted to build in more adjustability for the variety of fencing sizes and shapes I encounter. I scavenged a couple of parts from a second Fence Clip to create a movable mounting block for vertical adjustment, and stayed with the 15mm rod and fittings for horizontal and rotational adjustment. After testing for the last couple of weekends, I'm pretty happy with my new rig.
View attachment 14672 View attachment 14673
The only mounting limitation I will have with this setup will be backstops with netting instead of fencing. I keep a LynkSpyer in my car for those occasions.

Another feature of the Mevo Plus, is that it will livestream up to 1080p to YouTube (720p limit on FB, 540p limit on Periscope). YouTube requires 1000 followers for live streaming from a "mobile device", but the Mevo camera is categorized as a "webcam", which does not have the follower requirement.

Can you link to some of the video? Curious to see how it comes out with the Mevo. I currently use an iPhone and Periscope to stream games, so want to see if worth the upgrade. Nice setup!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28