New Bat Dilemma!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2015
My 9 year old DD, 4'11" 78lbs, really wanted to step up to a nicer bat. She's played for two rec seasons, an all-star season and just started 10U fall-ball. She's been using an aluminum Easton FS200 30/20. We found a 2013 Easton FS1 30/20 at Dick's for $85. The thing is, when we brought it home it felt heavier than her other bat. I put it on a digital postal scale and it weighs in at 22oz! For the price, I'm inclined to keep it, but she thinks it might be too heavy.

Any advice? I'm seeing 2015 Xeno's for around $170, a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I understand that they are truer to the sticker weight. Thanks!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Look for a used Xeno on EBay. Girls outgrow bats very quickly at that age so gently used bats are plentiful.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My 9 year old DD, 4'11" 78lbs, really wanted to step up to a nicer bat. She's played for two rec seasons, an all-star season and just started 10U fall-ball. She's been using an aluminum Easton FS200 30/20. We found a 2013 Easton FS1 30/20 at Dick's for $85. The thing is, when we brought it home it felt heavier than her other bat. I put it on a digital postal scale and it weighs in at 22oz! For the price, I'm inclined to keep it, but she thinks it might be too heavy.

Any advice? I'm seeing 2015 Xeno's for around $170, a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I understand that they are truer to the sticker weight. Thanks!

Keep in mind that the the Xeno is slightly end-loaded (balance point is shifted more towards the end), and will swing heavier than a balanced bat of the same weight.

At her size and age, having a bat that she feels comfortable with is going to be one of the most important factors in picking the right one.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Nothing new for Easton, they run heavy. Demars and LXT's will be closer to weight and Xenos will be a little more over than those.

If its her first top notch bat, just go find a nice new couple year old bat on ebay or some stores have a ton of dead inventory they are trying
to ditch. You can also find some NR bats around but they are a bit tougher. She will grow to learn with playing what bat she will like and then
you can go from there.

Jun 12, 2015
My daughter is about the same size and age. She's been killing it with her teammate's CF8. She has an old CF4 we got off eBay last year which still has some pop but we found a good deal on a CF8 so we went ahead and ordered that one.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
Get her a decent used bat and take the extra money and spend it either on a tee and net, or a good hitting instructor, especially at her age. Get her swinging well then get her a nicer bat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28