New 3b Coach here

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2018
Picked up a 3b coaching spot for the upcoming spring. 14U B level travel team. Was wondering if I might get some advice from the group.

What situations ARE good for stealing a base?

...and conversely...

What situations ARE NOT good for stealing a base?

many other tips for the new role are appreciated.

kind regards.

Oct 26, 2019
Picked up a 3b coaching spot for the upcoming spring. 14U B level travel team. Was wondering if I might get some advice from the group.

What situations ARE good for stealing a base?

...and conversely...

What situations ARE NOT good for stealing a base?

many other tips for the new role are appreciated.

kind regards.
If you can steal on offspeed pitches you will greatly increase your chances of success. Also, use arm signals and don’t be so vocal when coaching bases. GO sounds like NO and when the parents and fans are screaming like crazy no one can hear you anyway. That’s my biggest pet peeve out of new 3B coaches.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
You've never coached a base before 14B? That should be interesting.

Gauge the opposing catcher and the infield. Do they know what they're doing? If so, be cautious. If not, you can probably run any of your average or above baserunners...as long as they can and will slide. Fast runners should always be moved off of 1B quickly. Runners at the corners? Send the runner on 1B every time until the defense shows that they can get someone out. IF the ball is thrown to 2B in that situation, make sure the runner on 3B is ready to go Home.

Your biggest challenge may be to get them to see and respond to signals. Don't be complicated...most teams you'll play aren't looking at you.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

Remember, all the fans are great at predicting the future seconds after it happens. So, you better have a thick skin.

The key to coaching 3B is to look for specific, factual things before you make a decision.

What do I mean? When do you send a runner home? WHEN YOU SEE A MISTAKEe...either a bobbled ball or by improper position, not because you "feel" like it is a good idea.

When is it a good time to steal a base? Any time that your runner can take the base. How do you know she can take the base? Study the catcher and look at the coverage.

Tip 1: coaching 3B is a *TEAM* activity. You and your players have to practice signs. You have to teach them what is their responsibility and what is your responsibility.

Tip 1: Lead off batter for the game should always do a fake bunt. Why? You want to see the defensive rotation and how their players react. (By rotation, I mean every fielder, not just 1B and 3B. Are the outfielders moving to the base? Where is the SS going?)

Tip 2: Stealing 3B is a foot race between your player and the SS to 3B.

Tip 3: Move down the line and out of the box when players are trying to score from 2B. Don't stand in the box.

Tip 4: There is no "go" sign. There is only a stop. Players round 3B at full speed and continue *UNLESS* you stop them. If they don't see you hold up your arms, they are to take the next base....which means they have to trust you.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
To add a few things to sluggers list:

Understand the risk reward. Start with the score, who's at bat, pitcher your facing. One umpire or two, and how close are they monitoring your jumps. etc

Make sure your hitter know to stand their ground in the box after the pitch. Nothing worse than a hitter jumping out of the way giving the catcher an open throw to 3B.

If you can pick the pitch callers, or pitchers change that helps

Identify where the catcher is setting up relative to the batter. Some will set up deeper to create a better throwing lane. If they don't (and they shouldn't), catchers with bad footwork will struggle to create the throwing lane.

Slugger mentioned defensive positioning and "footrace". the high level you play, the more this will be a driver. Most of the time that 3B is stolen, it's on the SS or 3B. If you feel they can't get to the bag before your runner, then run, run, run.

Good base stealers know how to use various slides to help them avoid tags. Hook slides to along way. Practice steeling and teach your runners how to read the defender's eyes and glove.

I teach my girls to run to me. It's not my job to tell them to go, it's my job to stop them. They come into 2B or 3B with the intention that they are not stopping. Working down the line as a 3B coach is critical. The farther down the line I go, the more likely I'm not stopping them. BUT, they know how to put on the breaks late, if I have to stop them late. If I'm still at the bag, they know they are sliding, then I give them direction inside or outside to avoid a tag.

Teach runners how to read the ball angle off the bat and make decisions. We also work on looking at how the OF sets up and identifying the defensive triangles (holes were a ball would be down). If the ball is hit in front of them, they are making the decisions, if it's behind them they look to me.

Teach them to be aggressive and don't yell at them if they make a mistake doing it. Teach instead.

Don't get caught up watching plays at the plate or a hit ball. You have baserunners that your responsible for.

If you make a mistake, own up to it to them

Learn how to approach an umpire.

Study 3B coaches that you play against

Last piece of advice. Teach your girls a walking lead from 3B. So many times I've seen runners that feel they have to explode 10 feet off the bag for a lead-off. Only bad things can happen at that point. Line drive to 3B DP, GB to pitcher or 3B your out, pick-off, and of course my favorite, they get too far off to tag up. They will score on almost anything if they keep their shoulders square to home and read ball angle.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Tip 4: There is no "go" sign. There is only a stop. Players round 3B at full speed and continue *UNLESS* you stop them. If they don't see you hold up your arms, they are to take the next base....which means they have to trust you.

This is so obvious and perfect and I've never thought of teaching it that way. We have worked many times on runners picking me up, what to do, etc., but the idea that they're scoring unless I stop them is great. I'll be using that.

Oct 26, 2019
This is so obvious and perfect and I've never thought of teaching it that way. We have worked many times on runners picking me up, what to do, etc., but the idea that they're scoring unless I stop them is great. I'll be using that.
@sluggers has a great point. I tel our girls all the time to “make me stop you”. Once you get this mentality in your girls you better learn to work your way down the third base line towards home so if you stop them when they round third they are still in front of you. Our rule is once you pass me you are scoring.

Aug 12, 2018
You've never coached a base before 14B? That should be interesting.

Gauge the opposing catcher and the infield. Do they know what they're doing? If so, be cautious. If not, you can probably run any of your average or above baserunners...as long as they can and will slide. Fast runners should always be moved off of 1B quickly. Runners at the corners? Send the runner on 1B every time until the defense shows that they can get someone out. IF the ball is thrown to 2B in that situation, make sure the runner on 3B is ready to go Home.

Your biggest challenge may be to get them to see and respond to signals. Don't be complicated...most teams you'll play aren't looking at you.

Hey Strike, thanks for the reply. Yes I've coached bases in the past - several Rec and Select teams and a short period of time on a 12U travel team. That said, HC has asked that I prep up for a small ball approach this upcoming spring and I'm looking to dive into the topic with some fervor in advance. Thought I might try and appeal to some better minds than mine in an effort to learn something new.

As to signals, I'm used to old school hand signals but we're making the switch to wristbands to try and ensure good comms - another learning curve for me. Appreciate the good advice.

Aug 12, 2018

This is great. Never thought of it like this. Will certainly incorporate. Thank you Slugger!

Aug 12, 2018
To add a few things to sluggers list:

Understand the risk reward. Start with the score, who's at bat, pitcher your facing. One umpire or two, and how close are they monitoring your jumps. etc

Make sure your hitter know to stand their ground in the box after the pitch. Nothing worse than a hitter jumping out of the way giving the catcher an open throw to 3B.

If you can pick the pitch callers, or pitchers change that helps

Identify where the catcher is setting up relative to the batter. Some will set up deeper to create a better throwing lane. If they don't (and they shouldn't), catchers with bad footwork will struggle to create the throwing lane.

Slugger mentioned defensive positioning and "footrace". the high level you play, the more this will be a driver. Most of the time that 3B is stolen, it's on the SS or 3B. If you feel they can't get to the bag before your runner, then run, run, run.

Good base stealers know how to use various slides to help them avoid tags. Hook slides to along way. Practice steeling and teach your runners how to read the defender's eyes and glove.

I teach my girls to run to me. It's not my job to tell them to go, it's my job to stop them. They come into 2B or 3B with the intention that they are not stopping. Working down the line as a 3B coach is critical. The farther down the line I go, the more likely I'm not stopping them. BUT, they know how to put on the breaks late, if I have to stop them late. If I'm still at the bag, they know they are sliding, then I give them direction inside or outside to avoid a tag.

Teach runners how to read the ball angle off the bat and make decisions. We also work on looking at how the OF sets up and identifying the defensive triangles (holes were a ball would be down). If the ball is hit in front of them, they are making the decisions, if it's behind them they look to me.

Teach them to be aggressive and don't yell at them if they make a mistake doing it. Teach instead.

Don't get caught up watching plays at the plate or a hit ball. You have baserunners that your responsible for.

If you make a mistake, own up to it to them

Learn how to approach an umpire.

Study 3B coaches that you play against

Last piece of advice. Teach your girls a walking lead from 3B. So many times I've seen runners that feel they have to explode 10 feet off the bag for a lead-off. Only bad things can happen at that point. Line drive to 3B DP, GB to pitcher or 3B your out, pick-off, and of course my favorite, they get too far off to tag up. They will score on almost anything if they keep their shoulders square to home and read ball angle.

Oozing with Wisdom here...thank you. Humbled and appreciative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802