New 3b Coach here

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2018
Can we discuss the walking lead at 3B some more? Is that enough to get the runner home on a WP? The walking leads our girls do at first-year 12U is more like a few steps off the bag. Not sure what the difference would be?

Are you aiming for assertive, but not crazy aggressive for a lead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm still learning here but what I personally mean by walking lead is the following...

I want my baserunner to "walk into" (or maybe trot) the lead. That is, I want them to be creeping and landing on their right foot as the ball crosses the plate (rather than in a static pose) so as to take advantage of momentum when/if the opportunity presents itself. This may mean 3 steps, or it may mean 5 steps...just depends on how close the 3rd baseman is to the bag.

The other thing is I don't tell them to go or not...I want the baserunner to make the decision themselves. I give them information, but i don't say "go" or "no"

Hope that's helpful. Maybe someone with a bit more experience can weigh in?

Jul 31, 2019
Speedskater explains it well. Goal is to keep shoulders square to home for as long as possible and is thinking yes, yes, no. In reality, WP’s are less as they get older or play at high levels.

He also brings up another good point about the 3B positioning. I tell my runners to keep the third baseman in front of them and not to pass them unless they are going home. It is my job to watch for the SS coming in behind them.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2010
Not everyone can steal bases. Especially against good team. The stopwatch will tell you who can.

From travel ball, our leadoff went on to be Team USA.

Almost unstoppable. She got on base 75% time , first pitch from 1B, she would be on second...a sacrifice later third.....then usually score. Games were won in 1st inning...often 1-0.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Goal is to keep shoulders square to home for as long as possible

I might be interpreting "as long as possible" incorrectly, but this seems like a great way to get runners picked off third constantly if the catcher is halfway competent.

one more 3B lead-off tip. Girls should take their lead in found territory, but go back to the bag a good foot in fair territory. Makes the pick-off very difficult

I prefer this, too, but I've seen some teach foul-fouler. The logic is that coming from foul territory makes it harder for the 3B to get a tag on. Not sure I buy that argument though.

Jul 31, 2019
I might be interpreting "as long as possible" incorrectly, but this seems like a great way to get runners picked off third constantly if the catcher is halfway competent.

I prefer this, too, but I've seen some teach foul-fouler. The logic is that coming from foul territory makes it harder for the 3B to get a tag on. Not sure I buy that argument though.

have your kids try it in practice. Conceptually it’s like a rundown. If I retreat to a bag I run to the fielders glove. It also screws up the defender trying to get to the bag

regarding the shoulders, you would plant your inside foot to stop, open and retreat when the catcher catches it. It’s CRITICAL that your hitter does not vacate the box and give the catcher a clean throw

Mar 22, 2010
Some times if I had a runner on 1B with two outs and my lead off batter up with two strikes I would have whoever was on 1B steal. If they're safe I get a runner in scoring position, if they're out I've given my lead off batter a fresh at bat to start a new inning.

Oct 26, 2019
This also put you one hit away from scoring as opposed to two and against a good pitcher you probably aren’t getting two in a row with two outs so the gamble is worth it usually.

Jul 31, 2019
Some times if I had a runner on 1B with two outs and my lead off batter up with two strikes I would have whoever was on 1B steal. If they're safe I get a runner in scoring position, if they're out I've given my lead off batter a fresh at bat to start a new inning.
One thought is don’t make you decision to steel solely based on the count. On the defensive side we are always trying to “split the best hitters up”. So pick any good running count to go for the same reasons above, except thought process is if she gets thrown out, you keep your 1-3 hitters grouped.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802