New 3b Coach here

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2018
Which brings us to my next favorite, often debated topic. Playing Small ball.

developing runners to go 1st to 3rd

safety squeeze

suicide squeeze

Other than suicide squeeze (i'm not a believer) we'll definitely be incorporating. What is there to debate? In the sport of Fastpitch (Maybe not Baseball) it seems to be a necessity. No?

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018
Small ball keeps the defense off balance, and can be a great weapon at all ages.

one more 3B lead-off tip. Girls should take their lead in found territory, but go back to the bag a good foot in fair territory. Makes the pick-off very difficult
Yessir! I teach a walking lead landing on the right foot in foul territory and a return to base inside the line without losing sight of the ball.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Other than suicide squeeze (i'm not a believer) we'll definitely be incorporating. What is there to debate? In the sport of Fastpitch (Maybe not Baseball) it seems to be a necessity. No?
Hmmm?
You may not believe in the squeeze bunt,
( is that a statistics thing?)
Please still prepare your defense for it! :) 👍

Bunts, squeeze or otherwise need to be defended no matter the runners on base.

Bunts make the defense work!

*Runners Speeds~
are a much resourced and utilized skillset!!!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
Although it’s rarely called, there will be a time and place where the safety squeeze won’t get it done,

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The one thing I see 3B coaches do that drives me crazy is not standing down the line some when a runner is coming to them with the momentum that they are going to round the bag. Get down the line some so that you will be standing in their line of vision if they round the bag and have to stop and stay at 3b. If that runner has rounded that base and can't see you, they might run into an easy out at the plate.

Oct 26, 2019
The one thing I see 3B coaches do that drives me crazy is not standing down the line some when a runner is coming to them with the momentum that they are going to round the bag. Get down the line some so that you will be standing in their line of vision if they round the bag and have to stop and stay at 3b. If that runner has rounded that base and can't see you, they might run into an easy out at the plate.
I said the same thing up thread somewhere - hard to throw up the stop sign once they run past you!

Aug 12, 2018
Hmmm?
You may not believe in the squeeze bunt,
( is that a statistics thing?)
Please still prepare your defense for it! :) 👍

Bunts, squeeze or otherwise need to be defended no matter the runners on base.

Bunts make the defense work!

*Runners Speeds~
are a much resourced and utilized skillset!!!

I should clarify...

I certainly believe in being ready defensively for the suicide squeeze. It's offensively that I don't like it. I've seen it go wrong a number of times usually due to less than polished bunt skills. Pop ups, misses, pull backs...and its really mucked up our baserunners as you can imagine. On top of that it puts the batter in a bummer position for the remainder of the plate appearance. Additionally, in my experience baserunners often have a hard time with the extreme commitment it takes. They go but then their fear of being tagged out kicks in and all kinds of things happen other than scoring a run.

Both of these areas can and should be practiced of course, we're just not there yet...soon I'm hoping...soon.

Don't get me started on the hit and run. ;)

Nov 18, 2015
Can we discuss the walking lead at 3B some more? Is that enough to get the runner home on a WP? The walking leads our girls do at first-year 12U is more like a few steps off the bag. Not sure what the difference would be?

Are you aiming for assertive, but not crazy aggressive for a lead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812