New 3b Coach here

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2018
@sluggers has a great point. I tel our girls all the time to “make me stop you”. Once you get this mentality in your girls you better learn to work your way down the third base line towards home so if you stop them when they round third they are still in front of you. Our rule is once you pass me you are scoring.

Yes really love this idea...particularly the idea of using the distance down the line to give my baserunner a sense for how likely I'll stop them. Just a fantastic approach. Adding to that your "past me" idea just really changes how I think about things. Very cool. Thank you Towny, Slugger and Fury! Actually, thank you all!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
As to signals, I'm used to old school hand signals but we're making the switch to wristbands to try and ensure good comms - another learning curve for me. Appreciate the good advice.

Be careful with the codes...you never know who is on the other team. My kid loves number and math puzzles, and one of her hobbies is breaking the other team's code during a ball game. Many coaches are lazy in how they code their pitches, bunts and steals, and DD often figures it out just by listening and seeing what happens.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Last piece of advice. Teach your girls a walking lead from 3B. So many times I've seen runners that feel they have to explode 10 feet off the bag for a lead-off. Only bad things can happen at that point. Line drive to 3B DP, GB to pitcher or 3B your out, pick-off, and of course my favorite, they get too far off to tag up. They will score on almost anything if they keep their shoulders square to home and read ball angle.

Great stuff...I learned a couple of things.

With 14u kids at 3B, I will sometimes put a line in the dirt to show them how far to go. Most are too timid.

Oct 4, 2018
Also, I'd make sure you get with the HC to know if you're trying to be really aggressive as a team or normal or conservative.

And then, I'd find a way to get that to the parents. Like Sluggers said, you're going to be the focus of high-level armchair QBing. Parents will second guess every call you make, even when it's the right call. Letting them know "we're going to be really aggressive this year and we're fine if some girls get out because of it" will help. Get the parents onboard with your philosophy so they can cheer appropriately and support the coaching staff. Also, they love being told these things -- makes them feel like insiders and more part of the team.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I’m going to sound like a broken record here, base running is just like hitting for me, it’s ALL go-go-go until it’s a no!

I’ll always be convinced we won a State Championship from smart, aggressive base running! Sure we did everything else good that day but the pressure we put on the other team (a better team mind you) on the bases that day was the difference in the game!

Set aside time in practice with a pitcher and catcher in live scenarios with base runners, teach your runners to read pitches, to know where the ball is halfway from home, 10 to 12 feet from home, if it looks like it’s going to be in the dirt or over the catchers head.......if it causes the catcher to have to change the way she has to catch the ball and affects her pop or normal throwing motion, your girls BETTER already be moving!!

When your girls are sucking at the plate and base runners are at a premium, you better know how to score them, base running.....aggressive, smart base running, with zero hesitation wins ball games!

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Tip 3: Move down the line and out of the box when players are trying to score from 2B. Don't stand in the box.

Tip 4: There is no "go" sign. There is only a stop. Players round 3B at full speed and continue *UNLESS* you stop them. If they don't see you hold up your arms, they are to take the next base....which means they have to trust you.

PRACTICE THIS with your players. So they learn what to expect and don't see it for the first time in a game. Mix it up and give stop signs after rounding 3rd so they learn how to break down their full speed run and change directions to get back. It's rare to do this, but they are prepared for when that left fielder fires a rocket to the catcher.

Jul 31, 2019
I’m going to sound like a broken record here, base running is just like hitting for me, it’s ALL go-go-go until it’s a no!

I’ll always be convinced we won a State Championship from smart, aggressive base running! Sure we did everything else good that day but the pressure we put on the other team (a better team mind you) on the bases that day was the difference in the game!

Set aside time in practice with a pitcher and catcher in live scenarios with base runners, teach your runners to read pitches, to know where the ball is halfway from home, 10 to 12 feet from home, if it looks like it’s going to be in the dirt or over the catchers head.......if it causes the catcher to have to change the way she has to catch the ball and affects her pop or normal throwing motion, your girls BETTER already be moving!!

When your girls are sucking at the plate and base runners are at a premium, you better know how to score them, base running.....aggressive, smart base running, with zero hesitation wins ball games!
Which brings us to my next favorite, often debated topic. Playing Small ball.

developing runners to go 1st to 3rd

safety squeeze

suicide squeeze

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Which brings us to my next favorite, often debated topic. Playing Small ball.

developing runners to go 1st to 3rd

safety squeeze

suicide squeeze
Yes sir Mr. Furious Mike ;), always one of my favorite topics! Especially when you’re being handled by a pitcher who’s on a roll, gotta figure out some way to get on base and move girls around, can’t win with a zero!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
Small ball keeps the defense off balance, and can be a great weapon at all ages.

one more 3B lead-off tip. Girls should take their lead in found territory, but go back to the bag a good foot in fair territory. Makes the pick-off very difficult

Aug 12, 2018
you're going to be the focus of high-level armchair QBing.

Ha! Yea can't wait for this part. Communicating strategy though is a great idea. I've always felt the absence of information on those sidelines certainly contributes to what causes anxiety/criticism.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802