New 2020 Pitching Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2016
Does anyone have a definitive list of pitching rules by sanctioning body? its a little confusing depending on who you are reading/listening to

Example:
PGF - Step Back
USA - Start Back
USSSA - Start Back
Etc.

thanks!!

Nov 8, 2018
Does anyone have a definitive list of pitching rules by sanctioning body? its a little confusing depending on who you are reading/listening to

Example:
PGF - Step Back
USA - Start Back
USSSA - Start Back
Etc.

thanks!!

My understanding is USA is step back and usssa is start back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
This is my understanding from NFCA announcements and research:

NCAA - Start Back
PGF - Start Back
TCS - Start Back
USSSA - Start Back

NFHS - Step Back
USA - Step Back

Thanks for clarifying.

Apr 30, 2018
Try not to make this even more confusing.... Even if the rule is step back, would you be allowed to just start back and still be fine?

Oct 4, 2018
Seems if you work on "start back" you'll be covered.

It'll be interesting to see if the local rinky-dink tournaments we play in get the memo on this.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks for clarifying.

This is the release we found on the web from USA. USA/NFHS/PGF will all be the same.

Rule 6A, Section 1C: Both feet must be on the ground within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate. The shoulders shall be in line with first and third bases. The pitcher shall take a position with their pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate and their non-pivot foot in contact with or behind the pitcher’s plate. Comment: Allows female pitchers to start with one or two feet on the pitcher’s plate. This aligns the male and female pitching rule as it relates to foot placement.

Rule 6A, Section 1E: The pitcher shall bring their hands together for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball. A backward step may be taken before, simultaneous with or after the hands are brought together. The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher’s plate at all times prior to the forward step.
Comment: Allows female pitchers to take a backward step from the pitcher’s plate, before, during or after the hands are brought together. This aligns the male and female pitching rule as it relates to stepping back from the pitcher’s plate.

Oct 1, 2015
This is the release we found on the web from USA. USA/NFHS/PGF will all be the same.

Rule 6A, Section 1C: Both feet must be on the ground within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate. The shoulders shall be in line with first and third bases. The pitcher shall take a position with their pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate and their non-pivot foot in contact with or behind the pitcher’s plate. Comment: Allows female pitchers to start with one or two feet on the pitcher’s plate. This aligns the male and female pitching rule as it relates to foot placement.

Rule 6A, Section 1E: The pitcher shall bring their hands together for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball. A backward step may be taken before, simultaneous with or after the hands are brought together. The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher’s plate at all times prior to the forward step.
Comment: Allows female pitchers to take a backward step from the pitcher’s plate, before, during or after the hands are brought together. This aligns the male and female pitching rule as it relates to stepping back from the pitcher’s plate.

This is true for USA/NFHS, but my understanding is that PGF is going to change their 2020 rules to be in line with NCAA, and no longer with NFHS.

(Even when they followed NFHS rules, they did not allow a step back)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802