New 10U team - talk me off the ledge

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
@pattar thst hitter was my own DD last fall. I think I taught her the strike zone too well. It got to the point I was hoping she would chase something just so I could see her swing the bat.

Aug 2, 2019
By the 2nd tournament, everything will be fine. One thing that I've noticed is that new coaches usually underestimate their team prior to the first games, as they are concerned with all the mistakes made in practice and just see all the work that is left to do. When they get on the field playing against other girls their age the girls are fine. You sometimes forget that nine year olds shouldn't be making every play on the diamond. It's easy to forget that when you see them actually do it a couple times.

May 6, 2015
@pattar thst hitter was my own DD last fall. I think I taught her the strike zone too well. It got to the point I was hoping she would chase something just so I could see her swing the bat.

in rec, from when she was 8 to still today (in rec), I tell her 3-0 count is a must swing, whether over her head, rolling, etc.). with the pitching she is facing, no way any of them throws 2 more strikes without her hitting one of them, and at least that way she gets to see another pitch. and if they are every going to throw a strike, probably on 3-0.

Jul 14, 2018
10U is really tough, depending on where you are it's probably the first time kids are playing without coach pitch. The fact that you have so many girls working on pitching is fantastic. When DD started 10U, we got group lessons for everyone who was interested in learning to pitch. Most fell away, but it helped to identify the girls who had the physical and mental makeup to be in the circle. This year is going to be about that process. And walks. Lots of walks.

The good news for you, as a coach, is that this season will prepare you for first-year 12U, when the ball gets bigger and the pitching rubber moves back five feet. By then, you'll have realized that the pitchers will struggle, but they'll find a way.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Keep in mind your goal (develop players) and you'll be ok.

What I did at that age level was find one kid who could "just throw strikes". I would let the other pitchers walk three batters, and then I would put Ms. Strike in.

Sometimes the other pitchers would go three or four innings, sometimes one.

Everyone always got a chance. The pitchers and parents knew what I was doing, so there was never a problem.

I never let what happened last game hurt a pitcher's opportunity to pitch the next game.

Aug 13, 2018
10U are the worst two years (at least that's what the older coaches tell me, I'm still in 10U for my older and 8U for my younger.) Pitchers are still learning, batters are afraid of getting hit. And because the games take so long because of all the walks, the fielders fall asleep so if there IS a play in the field, they're not paying attention and it's errors galore.

I've seen the same girl throw an immaculate inning and walk the 5 run limit in. In the same game.

I've saw a game that the final score was 9-8 without a hit by either team.

I can't tell you how many $300 bats I see that have never left the girls shoulder.

I even think the umpires get bored. I've seen strike zones that I could park a Cadillac in because they wanted to get the game moving. And I couldn't even blame them.

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks Sluggers! On a more serious note, for those of you who have worked with new/young pitchers - how long did it take for it to click with them? When did they start to figure it out?

You coaching rec or travel? Doesn't really change my answer but I'm curious.

Last year I coached a first year 10U travel team. I was in charge of pitchers. First practice, we asked the girls who wants to pitch for this team. Four hands went up. We then talked to the girls and their parents and learned that 2 had pitched before and two never did.

So we got them in group lessons all with the same coach. We coaches went to those lessons (our DDs were pitchers). The 4 girls learned together, worked together, and were coached together. It was amazingly helpful.

Season started with the two most experienced girls doing most of the pitching. But 6 months later one of the new girls clearly became our #1. She worked the hardest, practiced the most. Worked over the winter break and came out in the Spring on fire. By the end of Spring she was a legit pitcher.

Short version:

1. It will start out rough. Be ok with that. Support them.
2. The girls that work hard will be rewarded

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee