New 10u Rec Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Don't focus on winning games at practice. Focus on making your kids the best players you can.

Do you have any guidance on strategy? We play twice a week so I'm thinking of keeping the girls at learning just two positions, say position A during the first game and position B during the 2nd game. I know I don't want to limit the girls, but I also don't want to stick them at a different position every inning so that they don't end up being able to do any position well.

What you *really* want is for the kids to have a good experience playing softball. The kids should enjoy the game and have fun.

You start pigeonholing kids, and you will have problems with the kids and the parents. The biggest challenge a softball coach faces is cliques. Cliques are horrible.

The only positions that needs a "skill player" are P, C and 1B.

So:

1) Teach *all* the kids how to play the game. If you coach correctly, the kids will improve over the season so that everyone can play anywhere.

2) Whenever the game gets 'out of control", put the kids who don't usually play IF into the IF. Move the regular IFs into the OF. Move everyone...I don't care if you have the second coming of Dot Richardson at SS. You get ahead/down by 20, Little Dotty goes to RF. Positions other than P, C and 1B don't matter.

I'm also thinking about ignoring the base runners and just concentrate on getting the out at first (unless it is a simple step on the bag play) until the girls can do that reliably. Odds are there are going to be lots of wild pitches anyway so I expect anyone who gets on is going to get around the bases and score anyway. Thoughts?

What happens in a low level rec league (not SoCal rec ball), is that the bases fill up.

Popups and force outs at 2B and 3B are the key to a good rec ball defense. They are much, much easier to execute and practice.

Here is the drill for force outs:

Put half the girls at SS, and half the girls at 2B. Stand in the circle and *HIT* (do *NOT* roll) the ball gently. Girl at SS fields ball and tosses the ball to girl covering 2B. Girl who was at SS goes to back of line at 2B. Girl who was at 2B puts ball in bucket and then goes to back of line at SS. After a while, hit balls to 2B who toss to SS. Do this 15 minutes of every practice.

For poipups: Spend time teaching catching popups. Again, use a bat and *HIT* popups. It is difficult, but you can learn how to vary the difficulty of popups.

Feb 21, 2017
I forgot to mention about the positions. Because arm strength, coordination, catching ability and such will vary so much you will have to group players by positions.

Generally arm strength is key so you will most likely end up with SS/3B/OF and 2B/1B/OF and 1B/3B/OF. There will be too may 2Bs until they get stronger so you won’t ever need a SS to slide to 2B.

Play them 2 innings in a row at a position. Make sure everyone plays some OF and IF and track over games (because you may not be able to accomplish it in one game). So start in IF in one game goes to OF the next if she didn’t play there. If someone plays P or C make sure to get them an inning in the IF as well as some OF. Don’t punish them and only play OF.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 1, 2018
1. Second base needs to be able to get an out everytime.
2. 1st bass needs to be able to catch balls thrown at her.
3. All plays go to first (except balls hit to 3rd, just hold it until there is a force play at 3rd) bases loaded ball hit to pitcher, run home or first.
4. Suggest modify coach pitch for next season

Jul 14, 2018
I forgot to mention about the positions. Because arm strength, coordination, catching ability and such will vary so much you will have to group players by positions.

Generally arm strength is key so you will most likely end up with SS/3B/OF and 2B/1B/OF and 1B/3B/OF. There will be too may 2Bs until they get stronger so you won’t ever need a SS to slide to 2B.

Play them 2 innings in a row at a position. Make sure everyone plays some OF and IF and track over games (because you may not be able to accomplish it in one game). So start in IF in one game goes to OF the next if she didn’t play there. If someone plays P or C make sure to get them an inning in the IF as well as some OF. Don’t punish them and only play OF.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll just add to this -- get one of those magnetic boards that lets you put the girl's names over each position. It helps them learn where to stand (no matter how much you practice, this will be an issue). Also, it will help you to keep the girls rotating. A cheaper option is to use a lineup card like this, where you can pre-plan where each player will play by inning:

lineup6.gif

Apr 30, 2018
I have a magnetic line up board. I also have Inmotion Playbooks on my tablet that I plan on using during practices to demonstrate plays. Awhile back I saw a recommendation to setup a mini field, say 30' between bases when teaching plays. It allows you to get in double the repetitions of learning a play without smoking the girls, especially your RF if she has to sprint in to backup 1st.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478