Never seen this before.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We moved up this fall from 14u, played in our first 18u tourney. First of all our average height is 5'6 weight about 140. Our 18u competition average was 5'8-5'9 and 160-170. ( not fat girls, just monsters compared to us )

Once I got over the David and Goliath fears we played well for our first run at the 'big times'. Placed 3rd out of 13 teams. Learned some new stuff from the older coaches as far as college exposers go. Talked to several of the DD's that have had letters of interest from all college divisions. Very informative.

So here is the 'never seen before'. As a smoker ( not proud of ) I wondered out to the smoking section, there were a few 18u players just puffing away. Am I just not use to that since we are still so young?? I lost a lot of respect for some of the players that I had been speaking to that weekend. As an ex-athlete I would have never smoked while playing any sport. ( didn't start until mid 20's ) How do you talk to your players about that? It was the big conversation of our young team, they had never seen that before either.

Jun 16, 2010
I saw one once that was covered with tatoos and piercings, all over arms, neck, etc. Many coaches would scratch a kid that smoked right off of their list without a hesitation. Its a red flag.

First off - CONGRATS and WOO HOO for y'all's first run at a huge tourney! I know you are beaming with pride, and rightfully so.

Wonder if the coaches of those girls know they are smoking? I would think that it is the coach's responsibility to take care of that - not good influence on the younger ones, etc.. My DD thinks it's absolutely disgusting, so hope and pray she never picks up the horrible habit. I believe she'd think less of a softball player she saw smoking...

I see it quite a bit. Not just with softballers. I play baseball to a reasonable standard, and of our 11 players we might have at a game, 7 or 8 of them might be smokers. Unfortunately, I myself picked up this habit, and am quite ashamed of myself, and can tell that it affects my fitness.

I'm in Australia by the way.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Could be worse. I took my 14yo daughter and younger sons to her high school's football game. Sitting a few rows down were two girls holding their new babies and two others that were pregnant. Very scary!

Jul 26, 2010
That's a great way to get crossed off the scout/college coach list. Showcase players should know better.

-W

Mar 13, 2010
Smoking is pretty tame from my experiences.

My association would kick you out of rep if you were seen smoking in uniform though.

I've got a better story about 18YOA athletes doing something worse than smoking and drinking...

Are you going to share it??

The whole baby thing is terrible!!! DD goes to a private school - if girls get pregnant (hasn't happened in YEARS), they are kicked out and if boys are known fathers of children outside the school, or in it, they are gone, too. My Momma used to teach in public school - 7th and 8th grade. She would tell tales EVERY year of at least 3 girls in that age group who were pregnant - some the 2nd time around. Not sure about everyone else's area, but here there are a lot of children raising children who were raised by children themselves. It's so sad! DD had a girl on her 16u team this summer who showed for 2 practices, found out she was pregnant and quit. OMG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22