Needs to put in the work!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I pay a lot of money for her to play and I tell her I am not going to continue to my effort and time in if she cannot do the same. Any ideas or thoughts would be very helpful.

To be fair to your DD, the amount of practice required to be "good" in softball/baseball is huge. And, the practice isn't like games.

Anyway, you have to establish your DD's goal. Is it to play in college? Or is it to play a little in the summer and have some fun?

If she wants to play in college, she needs to hear how how much work it takes from someone *OTHER THAN YOU*. A former player is the best.

What might help:

a) Contact @RADcatcher. RAD was a catcher at the top of the women's softball pyramid. In her day, she was one of the top 5 collegiate catchers in the US. Have RAD tell your DD (*NOT YOU* tell your DD) what RAD did to become "good". Have RAD tell your DD what RAD's students do to become "good".

b) Then, set up a practice schedule based on the feedback from RAD. When your DD says, "I don't want to practice." Then you say, "If you want to be a college level catcher, you know you have to do XYZ. If you don't do XYZ, you won't play in college."

What I did:

I found a well respected pitching coach. He had played men's fastpitch. He had coached many, many college level pitchers. He had also won several state softball championships as a HS head coach. He told my DD that she needed to throw 100,000 pitches to be "good". So...that, meant 100 pitches a day for 1000 days. And, she did it.

She would balk...geez, it is pretty boring to practice softball when the next game is four months away. But, if I brought up her goal and reminded her of what the coach told her, she would do it.

Feb 20, 2020
To be fair to your DD, the amount of practice required to be "good" in softball/baseball is huge. And, the practice isn't like games.

Anyway, you have to establish your DD's goal. Is it to play in college? Or is it to play a little in the summer and have some fun?

If she wants to play in college, she needs to hear how how much work it takes from someone *OTHER THAN YOU*. A former player is the best.

What might help:

a) Contact @RADcatcher. RAD was a catcher at the top of the women's softball pyramid. In her day, she was one of the top 5 collegiate catchers in the US. Have RAD tell your DD (*NOT YOU* tell your DD) what RAD did to become "good". Have RAD tell your DD what RAD's students do to become "good".

b) Then, set up a practice schedule based on the feedback from RAD. When your DD says, "I don't want to practice." Then you say, "If you want to be a college level catcher, you know you have to do XYZ. If you don't do XYZ, you won't play in college."

What I did:

I found a well respected pitching coach. He had played men's fastpitch. He had coached many, many college level pitchers. He had also won several state softball championships as a HS head coach. He told my DD that she needed to throw 100,000 pitches to be "good". So...that, meant 100 pitches a day for 1000 days. And, she did it.

She would balk...geez, it is pretty boring to practice softball when the next game is four months away. But, if I brought up her goal and reminded her of what the coach told her, she would do it.

That might be the best round of advice I've ever read on this or any other message board. (except maybe for the person who first explained Disney FastPasses).

Thanks from all of us. Really great work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802