Needing a new, custom catchers mitt. Thinking about getting a custom Marucci.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
That is a really nice looking glove. Is the “piping?” where your hand goes in bigger than usual or is it just the photo? I like the look of that.
The binding..........it's a tad bit larger than say a Rawlings Pro1000 but it's that photo that's making it look so fat. I like to say this Small Batch is a heavier duty version of a Horween Pro1000, it's a serious brick!

panthadad2

fastpitch pops
Jun 27, 2017
I just got out of practice from between lunch and heading to my next class at 4:00. I was using my custom Vinci catcher's mitt during catching and blocking drills today and was told by one of the coaches that I "need another glove. Preferably either regular tan leather or if I can get it, team color to match my catcher's equipment." I'm not exactly happy having to buy another glove...but...that's the price I have to pay to play college ball.

I started looking at other mitts online and I love my Vinci and it really does good for me. I've used it since my freshman year of high school when I first started playing the position. But I also remember it took at least 6 months or maybe even closer to a year to fully break that mitt in. So, I started looking at other mitts and found Marucci. I like that I can get a mitt custom made for me for $279. But I don't know what the break-in period is like for them or what other people's impressions have been of these gloves. If you guys have had daughters use Marucci stuff in the past, what have their impressions been like of their products? Were they hard to break-in?

Thanks, again!

Gabby, my daughter has two Marucci gloves bought around Christmas last year. Both light gray (no custom, although they have nice custom options). She's plays both middle infield and outfield, so a 11.75" and a 12.5".

The leather on the 11.75" was a little more supple than the 12.5" and it broke in relatively quickly (a few days) with us beating on it with a mallet every day, flexing the inside pocket at flex points, adding a little oil to the pocket, etc. The 12.5" glove had leather with a slightly tighter grain and took longer to break in so that one ended up getting ignored since the season was near. She ended up using the 11.75" even for outfield (HS senior year and summer travel ball) and loves that glove. She's a freshman in college now and still wants to use the 12.5" and is working with it so we'll see.

So to summarize a short story made long... my daughter likes her Marucci gloves and doesn't want a new one (I just asked her if she wanted a new Rawlings HOH that I'm buying for fun). One took longer than the other to break in, but some of that was because she favored one over the other. Whatever you decide whether Marucci or not, if you're concerned about break in time, I would give a call straight to customer service at the company (Marucci, etc.) and ask if it would be possible to get a glove that's a little easier to break in. It's possible they might be able to help.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I'll add too that we found this video on how to break in gloves by Wilson's glove guru very helpful.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3i_x0neoseU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Aso is awesome, I’ve used his methods on many gloves before! But on a Vinci catchers mitt, Aso would set it on fire, walk away, and go back to beating on a Wilson glove! ;) :ROFLMAO:

Mar 28, 2014
44Pro makes fast pitch catchers gloves?
I ordered my DD an infielder glove but I did not see any way to make a FP catchers glove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Order online under the baseball glove section but put in the notes that you want it to be a fastpitch catcher's mitt and whether it is for a girl or dad and they will make it accordingly. I have one and so does a bucket dad friend of mine. Both 35". We ordered them as I described.

May 21, 2014
it's the inner padding on the Vinci that makes it crazy. I've moved on to pulling the glove apart and getting some flex in the pad before even attempting to break in the leather.

And no offense but the newest Marucci gloves are nothing like last years. No more velcro. Patterns are different. Maybe it's the same web but that's about it...

panthadad2

fastpitch pops
Jun 27, 2017
it's the inner padding on the Vinci that makes it crazy. I've moved on to pulling the glove apart and getting some flex in the pad before even attempting to break in the leather.

And no offense but the newest Marucci gloves are nothing like last years. No more velcro. Patterns are different. Maybe it's the same web but that's about it...

Yeah, this year's stock Murucci gloves are a honey color with white trim compared to last year's light gray. Looks nice. DD actually wanted a white color last year, but knew that white turns to gray as soon as you oil it or get it dirty, so the light gray was OK with her. Marucci did get rid of the Velcro. I know it's sacrilege on this forum, but DD actually likes the Velcro because it allows her to tighten it down to her liking for her smaller hands.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Exactly, it's ALL about the padding! If I were to have to break one in right now, I'd be tempted to remove some of the padding or as you said..........basically beat the crap out of it!

panthadad2

fastpitch pops
Jun 27, 2017
I noticed on the Marucci website for custom gloves, one option would be to go with the more expensive kip leather Capitol series (sold stock as a baseball glove) but go with the deeper pocket for fastpitch. I've never bought nor owned a kip leather glove. Has anyone here had any experience breaking in kip leather? Any different from good steerhide?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802