Need some bat advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2022
My daughter is 11. We play rec league and her birthday came after the dec 31st cutoff date so she played another 10u. She is now 5'2" and weighs 98ish lbs. She is a good contact hitter. I bought her a 2019 Demarini Vendetta 30" -12 a couple of years ago. She has been swinging it very well making good contact. I noticed that her bat was looking small for her and after doing some measuring, that 30" bat is definitely too small for her. Took her by a local sporting goods store and they had 32" -10 in both LS Meta and Easton Ghost. She didn't like swinging either one of those bats. She LOVES the Vendetta. She will play 1 year of 12u and then she'll be trying out for junior high team. I am going to try and find something used for her as I doubt she is still done growing. We will be moving on to all-star softball after our rec season ends next week. What would be a bat to look for that would feel similar to the Demarini Vendetta?

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
My daughter is also 11 (2011). Based on what she swings and the others on her team, I think a 32" would be too big - especially as a drop 10. Sounds like your daughter may be a year older, though, so depends on her strength? Find what she feels comfortable hitting with - but maybe a 32" is something she will grow into?

Apr 20, 2015
She’s a big kid for her age for sure but don’t be in a rush to swing a bigger bat especially making big jumps at a time can really mess with swing mechanics. My nearly 16 yr old swings a 33 drop 10. She’s 5ft 6 and 120 and crazy strong and plays high level softball. My kids were always slow and steady growers so we went up an inch pretty much every year and to the drop 10 when we started breaking drop 11s. Some kids have big growth spurts and have to do things differently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 14, 2019
My daughter is 11. We play rec league and her birthday came after the dec 31st cutoff date so she played another 10u. She is now 5'2" and weighs 98ish lbs. She is a good contact hitter. I bought her a 2019 Demarini Vendetta 30" -12 a couple of years ago. She has been swinging it very well making good contact. I noticed that her bat was looking small for her and after doing some measuring, that 30" bat is definitely too small for her. Took her by a local sporting goods store and they had 32" -10 in both LS Meta and Easton Ghost. She didn't like swinging either one of those bats. She LOVES the Vendetta. She will play 1 year of 12u and then she'll be trying out for junior high team. I am going to try and find something used for her as I doubt she is still done growing. We will be moving on to all-star softball after our rec season ends next week. What would be a bat to look for that would feel similar to the Demarini Vendetta?
If she likes the Vendetta, look into the Demarini CF line. The Mizuno PowerCarbon is also a worthy option that will have a lighter, more balanced feel than the Meta or Ghost.

Mar 8, 2016
At this age look for a used bat on local softball websites. There are lots of girls that have grown out of their bat, given up on softball, or that have to have the newest bat every year. I agree with looking at the CF bats and not going to big too quickly. Everyone is always looking to get a longer heavier bat so their dd will hit it farther. I agree with the previous poster about being careful not to mess up swing mechanics with a heavy bat.

Feb 3, 2022
My daughter is 10, but similar in size and swings a 31” CF -11 with confidence. Probably a good option even if she perferred the 32”.

May 15, 2022
Thanks ya'll! Last thing I want to do is mess up her swing. I've been doing some looking locally and it looks like there are some used CF Zen's available. I would much rather buy $200 bat she doesn't like vs a $400 bat.

Oct 4, 2018
Get her the right bat for right now, not the right bat for some future body she might grow into.

Get used to the fact you'll be buying bats yearly from ages 10 to 14 or so (loosely), as they grow and bats need to grow with them. Used is fine, might even find a good one here - go to the FOR SALE area.

May 15, 2022
Get her the right bat for right now, not the right bat for some future body she might grow into.

Get used to the fact you'll be buying bats yearly from ages 10 to 14 or so (loosely), as they grow and bats need to grow with them. Used is fine, might even find a good one here - go to the FOR SALE area.

I am already used to buying stuff regularly. Had to buy her a new pair of cleats because she outgrew her other pair! Found 2 CF Zen bats locally. Both are same size just different colors(assuming different years?), I had her pick which color she liked best!

Jan 22, 2011
Buying used until they are 13 or 14 is good advice. If you are looking for a new bat, I highly recommend the Power Carbon from @CoreSoftball20. It is lighter than the Ghost and I think my DD hits just as well with it as with her Ghost. As I said in another thread, my only regret is not getting a drop 9 since it feels a little light for my DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28