Need quick glove advise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2019
My 10yo uses a 11.5" baseball glove. She plays CF and her team has been playing up in 12u this winter. She's had zero problems catching a 12" ball, I'm just not a fan of big gloves though.

Dec 19, 2022
I appreciate everyone's opinion. I tend to agree and think that the bigger glove can be unwieldy. She made a lot of great plays with a mizuno prospect finch last season. I went in thinking 11.5 and moved to 11.75 which is where I think I will end up.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My 10yo uses a 11.5" baseball glove. She plays CF and her team has been playing up in 12u this winter. She's had zero problems catching a 12" ball, I'm just not a fan of big gloves though.
Trust me, there's gonna come a time, a very crucial time late in a tough, tight game where she's going to rattle one around, or she "just" can't get enough web on the ball on a running sprint because her glove is just not the right tool to be in the outfield!

**Gonna happen!!**

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I appreciate everyone's opinion. I tend to agree and think that the bigger glove can be unwieldy. She made a lot of great plays with a mizuno prospect finch last season. I went in thinking 11.5 and moved to 11.75 which is where I think I will end up.
Look at it this way, it's a 12" ball, I promise it's not gonna get lost in a 12" glove! Besides Rawlings....well most manufacturers gloves are shorter than their listed size. A 12" Rawlings is actually going to measure closer to 11.75". But it's not just the length in that 12" glove, it's the all around size in proportion to that 12" glove....so even though that 12" glove that actually measures 11.75", it's going to be deeper and wider than an actual 11.75" glove, and so on. That make sense?

Oct 26, 2019
Trust me, there's gonna come a time, a very crucial time late in a tough, tight game where she's going to rattle one around, or she "just" can't get enough web on the ball on a running sprint because her glove is just not the right tool to be in the outfield!

**Gonna happen!!**
The CF on my team uses a smaller glove and I finally convinced mom to get a bigger one. When she catches the ball with her little glove you can see a whole lot of yellow! Always makes me nervous.

Dec 19, 2022
Yes, that all makes sense. I can't believe how much traction this thread has received in a short time. It's awesome! Unfortunately there are not a lot of people to discuss this that actually know what they are talking about so this is greatly appreciated.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
The CF on my team uses a smaller glove and I finally convinced mom to get a bigger one. When she catches the ball with her little glove you can see a whole lot of yellow! Always makes me nervous.
Hey, I'm in the smaller glove camp myself, my DD used a 12" glove from 10 years old through college, it's all about the right tool / piece of equipment for the job!

Oct 26, 2019
Hey, I'm in the smaller glove camp myself, my DD used a 12" glove from 10 years old through college, it's all about the right tool / piece of equipment for the job!
Infield or outfield? Like you said not all 12” gloves are equal.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Yes, that all makes sense. I can't believe how much traction this thread has received in a short time. It's awesome! Unfortunately there are not a lot of people to discuss this that actually know what they are talking about so this is greatly appreciated.
Honestly most, damn near all coaches & dads, especially at your daughter's age know nothing about gloves!! Even the ones who think they do!

Buy her a new glove, if her coach tries to stick his bear paw in her new glove, then you can mark him off the list as one of the ones who knows nothing about gloves! Dead give away!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee