Need help with signs...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2008
I use the quarterback wrist coach with my catcher and infielders.It has 3 panels with 20 places for numbers. So that gives you 60 combinations for pitch, bunt or play calls. I can switch to new ones every inning if need be. Just switch out the cards.

Example: 111, 143, 543, 152 can all mean fastball high and outside. I make the call aloud the catcher relays to pitcher and all the infielders know the pitch and can cheat accordingly.

I have thought about putting in an offense card so the batter and runner would never again miss a sign. May try that this year.

The signs have never been stolen to my knowledge and it would be really hard to I think.

May 22, 2008
so cal
Signs

OK - do any of you know a good site to help with "giving signs"? My husband is not completely comfortable with giving signs - he uses them of course but wishes he knew the best way to relay the info & signals to the girls where they remember them better. Specifically - what "terms" for field defense - like promting catcher to throw down to 3rd - maybe color terms or numbers? In your experience what works best for you??

For throwdowns to bases in the past I've used a hand on the knee corresponding to the base (1st or 3rd). For bunt defenses (ist & 3rd crashing or just one) I've used colors, i.e. blue for third crashes and the pitcher has the 1st base line, white for 1B crashing and pitcher covers 3b, blue and white for both corners crashing. he key on any of these signs as someone has already mentioned is to mpractice them each practice. On breaks between drills we ine up and I go down the line giving the sirgns. For each miss it's 10 pushups. Puts a little more at stake for the players to pay attention. best of luck!

Jul 26, 2010
Try The Sport Signalfan ...We use it for pick offs, pitches, and moving fielders. Us coaches are working on getting accepted in all leagues in the Coach's box but it is allowed in the dug out. Girls don't miss the signs. Sport SignalFan

Jul 26, 2010
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Sport-SignalFan/142390898907?ref=ts check this out

OK - do any of you know a good site to help with "giving signs"? My husband is not completely comfortable with giving signs - he uses them of course but wishes he knew the best way to relay the info & signals to the girls where they remember them better. Specifically - what "terms" for field defense - like promting catcher to throw down to 3rd - maybe color terms or numbers? In your experience what works best for you??

Take a look at this site and go to You tube and put Softball signs in the search..lots of good ideas

Jul 28, 2010
I made back up signs for the important stuff incase they missed the first sign they have one to fall back on. Like hands on my knees for steal or crossing my arms for a bunt. It is one more way for the girls to pick up on a situation.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
We use the tap system for our hitters. Once the coach flashes the indicator, the girls just count the taps. A second flash of the indicator means anything beyond that is simply camouflage. One tap is a bunt, two taps a take, three taps a steal, 4 taps a hit and run. You can always change the indicator to keep the opponent off balance. And if the girls have a hard time keeping up with the order of the taps, make a phrase using the first letters: i.e., Big Turtle Slaps Homeruns (something funny or odd)

On pickoffs to first, catcher holds her right hand outside her knee and shakes it; she may even call the 1b's name to get her attention. 1b slaps her knee with her glove to acknowledge she received the signal. Same thing to 3b, except catcher takes her glove hand to the outside of the knee and shakes it.

Works for us. On defensive shifts we use verbal cues, typically don't get to complicated with those.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I used to enjoy a book called Little League Confidential, Bill Geist. It is the funniest thing ever. The teams all have names like Sudsy Dudsy Laundry and Curl Up and Dye.

But, Bill just yelled out all of his signs. "Bunt!" "Steal." "Throw to third."

I have always been tempted to do that. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom