Need help with 12u DD...recent IR convert

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2018
My 12u dd made the switch to IR in April. She has struggled, but has kept at it and has really bought in...when the brush/snap happen along with overall good form, the results are great. Over the past week, she seems to have taken some steps back. Her warm-ups are solid, but things seem to break down once the game starts. I read this forum regularly and value all the info shared here but I wanted to wait until dd had some mound time with IR before posting videos. Here are a few vids from this evening... I appreciate any and all input.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
Sorry can’t open vids.
What I can say is this. My dd is 14u. Pitching with travel about 2 years. Rec for about 3. Switched to I/r officially in nov. it takes so much time grooving the I/r technique. It has to become Second nature before they do it in games. Why do they do it in practice and not in games. ? Because in practice they can focus on it and not throwing strikes or getting hitters out.
It just takes time. My dd just coming into her own with it after 8 months. Still loses her whip because she is overthrowing or trying to hard or stressed. A lot goes into it.
Give it time. Be patient. Work the process. It will come. When it does. You will be proud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 13, 2017
I think she looks very good.
My one comment would be to work on a stronger front side - stick the plant foot. I see energy bleeding through to the point where there is a little hop at the end.
I also echo what DrRiello says about taking time. My DD is 14u and sometimes things break down in games because she tries to overthrow whereas in practice things look great. Patience is key.
Keep up the good work.

May 20, 2016
My DD is the same age. They will revert to bad habits, it's not that huge of a deal. Especially when they start getting tired.

Time and pressure makes diamonds. Also a good idea after the season ends to take a little break and let them be kids for a bit. Usually come back with renewed vigor.

Nov 8, 2018
@joe720, yes some time off is critical. They need to decompress at times. We take a few breaks a year actually. We will take one coming soon in August as the spring summer season ends. We will break after the fall season too then have small rest times thru am intense winter as we gear up again for the spring.
Also if I may. As with any athlete there is a leaking out process that can be done over the Long term. Like from winter to spring. Or as short as during the week. Meaning , if you have a tournament over the weekend plan your week front loaded with heavier work and ease into the weekend so she is rested and ready the go. Creates a wave of intensity throughout the year that keeps the athlete ready to go when they need to go. Reduces overuse injuries as well and keeps them strong throughout the seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2015

First, sorry my crops aren't uniform. I didn't have time to be neat.

Ok, the reason things break down in a game is because her mind can concentrate on what she is doing in warm ups. In a game, her mind is most likely on other things and old muscle memory takes over. Its going to take some time to work that out.

The first thing I noticed was the faux "get tall at release". Its hard to see in stills but obvious in the full motion. She has a little, I don't know how to best describe it, maybe jerk or hitch upward as she comes from 9:00 into release. I can only assume she has been given the cue "get tall at release" or something similar and this has been misunderstood. Get tall at release is like squash the bug in hitting....its a bad way to describe what people see as an action. A pitcher will seem to grow tall at release because their back hip is smashing into a firm front hip. It is an unconscious action and shouldn't be talked about.

All she is doing with that upward motion is taking forward energy that should be going into the pitch and directing it upwards rather than into or resisting against the pitch. Front side resistance is about the front leg (notice her's is collapsed in the first two stills) being a hard resistance point against forward motion. Resistance equals power. And the backside slams into the firm front side power is generated. She seems to want to get to a straight, firm, front side, but is directing the energy up to straighten the leg.

Long story short, the landing and drag in need to be worked on and she needs to quit pulling up.

Second is the glove side....it is literally doing nothing. The body works best in coordination. Work on some glove whirl and up-together-down-together drills. Have her self pitch into the glove. This will not only balance her better, you'll see an immediate power increase as adduction works best when both arms are used equally.

The positive points are she has an outstanding foundation. Her drive is good for her age, and her brush and whip are developing very nicely. He change to IR is proceeding well along those lines.

Best of luck.

Sep 29, 2014
I'm actually a fan of the "straight and tall" cue. I will take the jump up hop at the end over the bend over monkey butt at release biggest reason is because of when they happen. That being said she does need to work on better front side resistance that isn't a forced straighten up and hop at the end.

I will admit I am super puzzled with what she is doing with her glove hand and honestly don't know if I have ever seen it before, even girls with crazy wild glove swim have the arm come down (at least upper arm) as they release it is just simply a natural reflex she has to be trying to hold it up like that as stated get her doing drills where she brings her arms down together there are tons of good ones out there. Second look her arm does come down but it's really long after pitch is gone...again just odd since it's not normal and natural and not in sequence.

Also a side view would be great help as well....overall though looks like a lot of things going right here...

Apr 12, 2018
I'm actually a fan of the "straight and tall" cue. I will take the jump up hop at the end over the bend over monkey butt at release biggest reason is because of when they happen. That being said she does need to work on better front side resistance that isn't a forced straighten up and hop at the end.

I will admit I am super puzzled with what she is doing with her glove hand and honestly don't know if I have ever seen it before, even girls with crazy wild glove swim have the arm come down (at least upper arm) as they release it is just simply a natural reflex she has to be trying to hold it up like that as stated get her doing drills where she brings her arms down together there are tons of good ones out there. Second look her arm does come down but it's really long after pitch is gone...again just odd since it's not normal and natural and not in sequence.

Also a side view would be great help as well....overall though looks like a lot of things going right here...

Thanks djcarter...yes that glove arm sure looks like it has a mind of its own! We have added it to our list. It is another one of those things that looks much better in practice/warm-ups, but definitely breaks down in games right now.

I've added a side view video.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K