need help w/gopro Hero Black 5. i want to record without chapters and

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2018
i dont know how to set it up. It's recording in short 8-10min segments. I have the ScanDisk Extreme Plus Card and running setup like lynkspyder recommends.

I've read some online instructions telling me to format things one way but i dont want to screw it up as there are a lot of different answers online. Prefer to have the help here.
thanks in advance
Hooham

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
The chapter recoding is set by GoPro from what I can tell. It keeps you from losing video in case of file corruption by have multiple shorter recordings instead of one long recording. It can be a pain if the break is in the middle of an at bat or during a defensive play.

Mine records to 17.41 Length clips.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I recommend the following settings for most game situations:
Resolution: 1080p (non superview)
Frames Per Second (FPS): 60
Field of View (FOV): Medium
Beeps: None
LEDs: None
Wireless: Off

1080p resolution seems to be the great combination of size and quality. You can go larger, but the files become very difficult to work with on the bulk scale. GoPro will "chapter" your files as well. This means as they get to a certain size (around the 4GB), it will start a new file. So if you record a game from start to finish, you will have multiple files. While it may seem tedious to manage at first, it actually is a good decision on GoPro's part. The camera simply does not have the processing power to handle files larger than this. Additionally, if there happened to be a failure, generally your last file will get corrupt. Breaking up the files keeps you from losing a complete game. For more information on Chaptering, see this link: GoPro Chaptering

As for FPS, we used to recommend 30 as this was usable for most situations unless you knew you would be doing much slow motion. It kept the file size down as compared to 60 FPS. However, starting with the Hero 4 cameras, videos recorded with either 30 or 60 FPS are the same size. So there was no longer a file saving benefit to shooting at 30. However, a 60FPS file is harder for your computer to process than a 30. If you happen to have a computer that is low on horsepower, you might have a difficult time playing back 60FPS video. If so, switch to 30. When shooting night and low light games, 60 FPS has to be enabled to take advantage of the low light setting on the GoPro. If you don't like the results of this setting, I recommend shooting at 24 FPS. You will still get a bit of motion blur, but the video will capture more light and 24 is more native FPS for TV playback.

In most cases, Medium FOV will allow capture of the entire field without showing fence in the shot. If you are playing on a deep back stop, you might be able to use narrow FOV. If the backstop is shallow, you might have to use Wide FOV. This, however, will most likely show fence in the shot. Also, I mentioned above to make sure not to use SuperView. SuperView allows for an ultra-wide shot both to the left/right and up/down. This works great for mounting to your body for Point Of View (POV) video, but not for shooting from a fence. If Superview is left on, you will not have all of the FOV options available. Additionally, if you shoot at some of the higher resolutions, Narrow and Medium FOV is not available.

Setting Beeps and LED's to none will reduce the risk of distracting the players and officials; specifically the blinking LEDs at night can really be annoying.

Wireless is usually the big setting people disagree with me on. Wireless is one of the main reasons why people choose these camera. But that being said, GoPro specializes in recording snippets of time. Recording full games is quite demanding on the camera. Wireless adds a tremendous amount of heat and can in even a cool day cause the camera to shut down. This generally leads to losing the last file being recorded as it will usually only partially save and become corrupt. I recommend leaving WiFi off and manually starting and stopping between innings. This will most usually (unless there is a long inning) allow you to have a single file for each half inning. So if you needed to find something in the bottom of the 3rd inning, you could quickly go to the 6th file.

Lastly, as you copy video from your micro SD card to your storage device, I recommend not deleting the videos from the card via a computer. Rather, when you know you have the files copied, reformat the card from the camera. This allows the card to always be on the best state for recording new video and minimizes the risk of file corruption.

Sounds complicated, and of course there is more. But I hope this will get you started.

good info

Mar 6, 2018
The chapter recoding is set by GoPro from what I can tell. It keeps you from losing video in case of file corruption by have multiple shorter recordings instead of one long recording. It can be a pain if the break is in the middle of an at bat or during a defensive play.

Mine records to 17.41 Length clips.
yes, that is correct. i was taking a guess and looking back thats what mine is doing.

Mar 6, 2018
You can't turn off chaptering. But you can join them pretty easily with MP4Joiner.
Thanks- i'll check that out in the morning. long first tournament then came home to watch my recording of Hoos beating Dook.

Any suggestions to load to youtube for sharing easily. i guess if i join them as per suggestion it'll be easier than trying to upload all of them individually. seems to have bogged down the que as i have 7 videos pending.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
i'm adding the media from the gopro camera itself. it says media corrupt or usupported format. it's saving it in mp4 and i got one to upload to youtube. and all to upload to the gopro app.
I would always copy the MP4 files to a computer before processing (either via USB cable and copying the files as if it were a thumb drive, or by physically pulling the car and copying from a card reader). The SD Cards are just too slow when compared to PC bus speeds. With that said, we have not used MP4Joiner with modern GoPro cameras (We use Adobe Premiere Pro to edit our videos....but it is an expensive solution to just join files); the HERO5 Black is probably the last GoPro we used the software with as we never found the HERO6 or 7 to be stable enough to trust for production use.

Mar 6, 2018
I would always copy the MP4 files to a computer before processing (either via USB cable and copying the files as if it were a thumb drive, or by physically pulling the car and copying from a card reader). The SD Cards are just too slow when compared to PC bus speeds. With that said, we have not used MP4Joiner with modern GoPro cameras (We use Adobe Premiere Pro to edit our videos....but it is an expensive solution to just join files); the HERO5 Black is probably the last GoPro we used the software with as we never found the HERO6 or 7 to be stable enough to trust for production use.
Ugh i'm still having trouble. I copied the mp4 files from my gopro and sent them to my laptop in a folder. I tried uploading to Movavi and it keeps saying corrupted or unsupported files. I've been able to load from the gopro to the laptop on the gopro quick launch icon that is on my pc. But i cant send them anywhere. I'm on a Lenovo Yoga c740 laptop. I'm not terribly good with this stuff as you can tell. I can usually work thru these things somehow though.

edit: I was impatient. after some time it did work by sending files to it's own folder on the pc drive and then uploaded to movavi converter. Thanks

Mar 6, 2018
Now- for more help. What I've done is save the game in whole to the pc from movavi. I am attempting to upload to youtube from there. Is that my best option as far as sharing with people? My laptop doesn't have a ethernet port so im uploading wifi to youtube. Our net is fast but obviously not as fast from wifi. I have an older laptop (2013ish hp) with ethernet port and the ps4. Would I be quicker to copy the files to an external hard drive then use the PS4 with ethernet to upload to youtube? Sorry for the novice questions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802