Need bat advice for very petite 11 y/o

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2019
My DD is in 11 but still in 10u TB. She is 4’5” and 64 lb at most. First year of TB and has improved a lot but the jump to 12u is going to be huge! She has a LS quest 28” -12. I wanted to get her a composite in the Fall but they seemed to be too big (I’m still new don’t know if that’s accurate)
I’m looking at a new bat, as she starts practice after this season for 12u tryouts. Any suggestions? Bustos, carbon candy, Xeno were on my list to have her try. At her size, any suggestions?

Apr 22, 2015
Myself personally, I’d stay away from the Xeno because they are slightly endloaded and tend to run around an ounce over sticker weight. My opinion would depend on her bat speed and how she gets the bat through the zone. The Bustos is a 2-piece bat with the barrel being aluminum but there is so much flex in the handle/connection area, that it can really benefit girls with slower weaker swings to get extra pop behind the ball, plus they are drop 12’s and that can help generate bat speed...Now if your daughter has good bat speed through the zone, she could probably use a CF series and get good results

Apr 28, 2019
My DD is in 11 but still in 10u TB. She is 4’5” and 64 lb at most. First year of TB and has improved a lot but the jump to 12u is going to be huge! She has a LS quest 28” -12. I wanted to get her a composite in the Fall but they seemed to be too big (I’m still new don’t know if that’s accurate)
I’m looking at a new bat, as she starts practice after this season for 12u tryouts. Any suggestions? Bustos, carbon candy, Xeno were on my list to have her try. At her size, any suggestions?
I would go with Bustos or Mizuno Silhouette. They both come in drop 13 which is the lightest you can get other than tee ball.
The Bustos is a hybrid. Alloy barrel & composite handle to reduce sting. The Mizuno is full composite.
Another good but heavier drop 11 choice would be the Anderson Supernova Flash.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia

My daughter is 10yrs old but is the same size as your daughter (stick figure, lol). She uses a 29" 2019 Xeno -11 with no issues. Her bat speed is decent.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I bought my skinny 8 yo a brand new 'lightweight' Easton bat in 1993. It was 19 oz, 28 inch.

She, and later her younger sisters, had no problems swinging it, and I recently watched a couple of clips of her at bats with this bat.

Today's ultra lightweight bats are not needed at all. Bat companies are great marketers though and they make you feel like you need these big drops.

Sting mostly goes away when you fix bat drag. You don't need to pay an extra $200-300 to hide the sting.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
DD was about the same size and worked up through Demarini drop 11's from 8U to 12U going from a 28" to a 30". When the 30" cracked we went to a 31" slapper and it has been an outstanding bat. We got the first one at the end of the first year of 12's and it is still in her bag in our first year of 16's. Pretty sure it will fail compression at PGF this summer but there is a 32" in the bag with a lot fewer swings.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I bought my skinny 8 yo a brand new 'lightweight' Easton bat in 1993. It was 19 oz, 28 inch.

She, and later her younger sisters, had no problems swinging it, and I recently watched a couple of clips of her at bats with this bat.

Today's ultra lightweight bats are not needed at all. Bat companies are great marketers though and they make you feel like you need these big drops.

Sting mostly goes away when you fix bat drag. You don't need to pay an extra $200-300 to hide the sting.
In this situation (she's tiny) I think it's fine for the OP to buy his DD a -11 bat, but that's it! I'm usually 100% in agreement with you and say to get your DD into a balanced -10 bat as soon as possible!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
If looking for a drop11...your lighter ones are gonna be a CF or PC. The PC only goes down to a 30/19
while the CF's go a bit smaller. Plus, those two drop11s are the bats with the biggest drop11 barrels
as well.
Maybe put a feeler out for some nice used drop11s as kids
grow out of stuff really, really fast and can get some good deals on really small drop11s.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812