need advise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
My first question is, why the heck would you want her to throw it right down the middle? Yikes.

Her problem is probably 1 of 2 things. Either... she's closing her hips before the ball, which forces her to around the hips, not through them. Or... there is a gap between her arm and body as she lets go of the ball. Either way, the fix is the same... make sure she rubs (gently) her inside forearm against her bellybutton as she lets go of the ball. If she does that, the ball will go wherever her glove shoulder points.

Usually, Side to side pitches are mechanical flaws, high and low are generally timing related. It matters not what pitch she's throwing, what grip she's using or anything of the like. If you get her to release the ball under her stomach, the ball will go where the shoulder points so make sure it's pointed where you want it. Keep in mind, unless this problem is fixed, she will never be able to put backspin on a riseball. That's not my rule, it's just reality. Her coach will alter her delivery to compensate and she'll have to 'lean back' to throw a rise, without backspin. This is not a riseball, it's a high pitch. There is a big difference.

Bill

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
fastball Hal

I should have asked this before.

How old are we talking about? 11" or 12" ball?

If her hand size allows this;

Have her hold her hand up in a fist.

Now stick the thumb out to the side.

Now make the peace sign with the index and middle fingers.

We want to grip the ball like that, that's your steering wheel.

Now, make sure the middle finger is pointing straight down to the ground as the ball passes the hip.

Release the ball and stop the hand with the 'Peace sign' pointing straight at the catcher's mask. The hand will stop low but make sure the peace sign is pointing there. Also referred to this as "Sticking your fingers up the catcher's nose", they seemed to remember that one better. (Yeah I know, but your Dad blew his nose just last week so it's cool).

You can practice this indoors with tightly rolled up socks too.

Again, if her hand size allows, this can increase her accuracy with a little practice. I used this with my young students for years, it works.

Hal

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee