Need Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2016
My DD is first year 12u. She is about 70lbs and currently swinging a 2016 LXT 30/19. She has been much improved this year with hitting, mostly hitting for contact, ground balls in the holes with an occasional line drive into the outfield. I have been thinking about getting her a new bat this will be the 2nd year using this current one. I stumbled across an article that said end loaded bats would help even smaller girls have more power in their swings. I have read good reviews on the CFX Insane 31/21. My concerns are do I really want to mess with her bat since she is hitting so well, also will she have a hard time swinging a bat that is an inch longer and 2 ounces heavier? Please tell me what to do?? Also i don't want to have to spend more money to buy a comparable sized cage bat, would it be bad to let her use her LXT?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
At 70lbs, you may want to look into a 31/20 -11 bat. I do not recommend a end loaded bat for such a small girl, heck I'm having a hard enough time recommending a -11 bat! I firmly believe you should get a girl into a balanced bat at soon as she can swing it properly. At least with a -11 you're just moving her up 1" and 1 oz.

Jun 11, 2013
To me the best overall bat over the past few years was the CF6 -11 bats. If you can find on ebay it's a great bat. Stay away from the end loaded at her size.

Apr 26, 2015
My DD was always on the smaller side. She is now almost 14 and 5'2" and 85 lbs.
She has had 2 LXTs (30/20 and 31/21) and just recently she started using a Demarini 32/22 Slapper bat.
She loves the LXTs because they are balanced and drop 10 but swing light...her slapper bat swings even lighter but is weighted towards her hands (she is a slapper who can hit as well).
She doesn't like end loaded bats at all!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Just a quick look at the vendors in my favorites, this was the best -11 deal I saw. If I remember right, there's usually not too many great deals on -11 bats. Seems like all the good end of year deals are on balanced -10 bats and end loaded logs! Really small girls and their parents are at a disadvantage and the manufacturers know this....I could be way off on this but it always appears that the -11 bats are hardly ever discounted, much anyway.

https://www.cheapbats.com/shop/clos...ball-bat-11oz-wtlfpxn171-p-8363-c-286_42.html

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The Demarini Insane is a great bat...for kid strong enough to control it properly and swing it hard. It's near the bottom of the list of bats I would recommend for a smaller player. Going from a balanced 30/19 to a end-loaded 31/21 is going to feel like a lot more than just the additional length and static weight. The end-load will increase the "swing weight" even more.

Nov 25, 2016
I've got a nice 33" CF6 for $100 if anybody wants it.
I found a cf6 new in wrapper on bats unlimited, I don't know if the site is legit or not since it seems as though they have all sizes of this bat and it's 4 years old. Seems suspect to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
For the most part, every inch of bat you add will affect your DD's bat speed as much as every ounce of bat weight you introduce. This means you would be adding approximately 3 ounces of bat to your DD's current swing and the it will reflect that in not hitting the ball as hard or as far. If it were me and mine, I would bump her up to 30/20 and go with it. Next year, over Winter where you have time to work with her, I might, and I say might, depending upon how much she grows and puts on weight, introduce her to a 31/21 bat. The general rule is to have your DD swing the biggest bat lengthwise and weight-wise that won't affect her bat speed or mechanics. Introducing as big a jump as 3 ounces will definitely do that at her current size and weight. Also, an end-loaded bat, while mostly recommended for "stronger" girls, IMO is a fallacy. An end-loaded bat can be swung effectively by many players of small stature if their mechanics are sound and they get used to the feel. That said, many smaller stature girls just don't like the feel of an end-loaded bat. Slappers OTOH are different. I wouldn't recommend an EL bat for them but I have seen some of those same girls swing one effectively and for power from the left side after years of practicing with them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28