need advice on choosing a team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2018
DD's team has been together for awhile. The coaches aren't getting along and are splitting the team. We will be moving up to 14U in the fall, we are currently doing well in 12U B where she is the #3 pitcher. The girls get along amazingly well and she would love to stay with as many as possible. Her options seem like they'll be the following:

Coach 1: 14U C- #1 or #2 pitcher. Less serious option. No tryout, everyone is given their spot. The unsaid truth is the coach is doing this because her daughter isn't very good and would be cut if there were tryouts. Many of the kids are leaning toward this.

Coach 2: 14U B- #2 or #3 pitcher. More serious softball. DD was offered a spot, but there will be tryouts.

Other: 14U B- a different local team that wants her, would be #2 pitcher, has friends on the team. They are currently struggling a bit in 12U B, but looking to be more serious.

It's up to her, just wondering your thoughts.

*Also her PC is affiliated with the organization of coach 1 and 2. I assume/ hope he would remain her PC if we left the organization and went to a rival team, but maybe not.

Mar 6, 2018
I would probably steer clear of the coach catering to his daughter.

3rd option seems like the better od the 3 but i highly recommend trying out at many more. You may find a better fit.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Moving into 14U, if your daughter has any interest in or intention of playing in college at any level, she should be pushing herself against the best competition possible. In your options above, that would suggest either of the 14U B teams. Does she play other positions besides pitcher, or is pitcher her path? Would want to make sure she has the opportunity to compete for and earn quality innings at this age.

Jun 6, 2018
This ultimately comes down to what your daughter wants and will be best with. I have 2 daughters playing and the 1 is serious loves the sport and wants to play in college so option A would never work, and likely none of those would as she needs the A level competition. My other daughter loves the game but loves the social aspect more and is happy just to play, option A would be good for her in this scenario. So without knowing what your daughter wants out of softball it is hard to choose

Mar 28, 2014
DD's team has been together for awhile. The coaches aren't getting along and are splitting the team. We will be moving up to 14U in the fall, we are currently doing well in 12U B where she is the #3 pitcher. The girls get along amazingly well and she would love to stay with as many as possible. Her options seem like they'll be the following:

Coach 1: 14U C- #1 or #2 pitcher. Less serious option. No tryout, everyone is given their spot. The unsaid truth is the coach is doing this because her daughter isn't very good and would be cut if there were tryouts. Many of the kids are leaning toward this.

Coach 2: 14U B- #2 or #3 pitcher. More serious softball. DD was offered a spot, but there will be tryouts.

Other: 14U B- a different local team that wants her, would be #2 pitcher, has friends on the team. They are currently struggling a bit in 12U B, but looking to be more serious.

It's up to her, just wondering your thoughts.

*Also her PC is affiliated with the organization of coach 1 and 2. I assume/ hope he would remain her PC if we left the organization and went to a rival team, but maybe not.
What option does she prefer? I would leave it up to her. After all, she is the one that is playing. Parents choosing a team for a 14 year old isn't the best situation. It can drive girls out of the sport altogether. Let her be the captain of her ship. Let her choose.

Oct 4, 2018
It's a tough decision. There are some knowns:

1. Her relationship with the girls
2. Her relationship with the coach

There are some unknowns:

1. What position she'll play.

Yes, you know now that she'll be P1 or P1 on one team, P3 on another. But with open try-outs that might change. Some kid might show up out of the blue who is amazing and push your daughter down the list.

So yes, I'd focus a bit more on the relationship she has with the girls and the coach, and mostly let her decide.

And mound time is critical for a pitcher. If that's her passion and love, I'd rather her be on a team where she'll get innings than on a team that's better but she won't pitch much.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
You sit down with your DD and explain the options and various scenarios and projected outcomes. Maybe even do the Pros and Cons list and then decide allowing her to make an informed decision, not just an emotional one.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pigskinguru34 makes some excellent points.

If a kid wants to play in college, she (and her parents) have to get rid of the whole, "I want to play on a team with my friends" mentality. (And, generally, I think a kid is much better off with a bunch of non-athletic friends.)

To play in college, a kid has to play TB at the highest level possible. That means: (1) the kid has to be on the field (not riding the bench) most of the time and (2) the team has to play advanced softball against good competition.

If your DD just wants to mess around, then play on Team #1. A lot of people play slow pitch on exactly that kind of team...it is fun. It is just not competitive.

Team #2 sounds like the best bet if your DD wants to develop. There is going to be competition, so your DD will have to work on her game to keep her spot. If your DD wants to pitch, you need to nail down the specifics of your DD's pitching time. She has to be the #2 pitcher, not the #3 pitcher.

Team #3 sounds iffy. It might be OK, but you need to ask more questions. The whole "My friends are on the team!" is irrelevant if your DD wants to become a better ball player.

May 25, 2018
It is definitely her choice. Just looking for advice.
She is a very social girl and loves that aspect of the sport. However, she is driven and would like to face the best competition and push herself. She already told me she will only go where she can pitch more than she is. She's an outfielder when she isn't pitching.
She has a good relationship with both coaches and is very torn. Tough decision for a 13 year old to choose between friends she loves and coaches pulling her in different directions and her desire to be her best at the sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598