Need a little advice, please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Ok, so here's the scenario I need help with: DD currently plays LL and is on their rec/C level travel team that is made up of our LL's all-stars for their age level (dd will turn 11 this fall). We were hoping to attend tryouts for a local program's B-level 12U team (going to be made up of mostly 11's since they will have 2 12U teams), only problem is, she recently broke her non-dominant arm and will still be casted when this team's (and all other teams in our area) tryouts will be held in a couple of weeks. She still will be able to play on her current rec-level travel program this fall once the cast comes off since we had those tryouts after LL season ended. My question is, what does one do in this situation? In talking with dd, she really would like to play more competitive ball and I think she would thrive on a true TB team - but what can be done since she will still be casted?

Anyone else ever been in this situation?

Jun 24, 2013
Do any Teams you are thinking of joining know your DD? She might not need to tryout if they know her and you let them know that she is injuryed. It might limit your choices a little bit this year but she is still young.

May 27, 2013
Thanks for your reply! The only person who somewhat knows her and recommended she attend tryouts is one of the AC's from the TB's 14U team. He was one of the coaches of one of our Minors' LL teams (not hers), so we don't know him that well. I guess I could email him and see what he thinks - but just wanted to get an outside opinion from those who have possibly been there, done that, IYKWIM.

Thanks again.

ETA: I'm not sure how well he knows the 12U coaches - but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. I just want to approach this tactfully.

Jul 9, 2012
Some points, this is the advice I give every parent and player that tried out for me:
1. Not all open spots are filled at tryouts or in August on TB teams. Be patient, don't panic, and your daughter will be rewarded. Many teams keep a slot open (only carry 10 or 11) with August because there are always kids that are coming back from injury or on shaky teams that break up over the fall/winter.
2. Guest playing with 3-4 different teams in the fall is a great way to find the right fit. I got my best pitcher I ever coached in January one year when her team changed coaches for the third time in three months.
3. The power resides with the player not the coach in TB tryouts. The coach can only offer a spot, the player has the right of refusal. Go into each tryout with that mentality, instead of the "I hope they offer me a spot" mentality.

This applies even if you live hours away from the closest TB team.

Jul 2, 2013
Very well said Coach Fastpitch.

Become the best player you can be. If you are good enough, finding a travel team is as easy as beating that team on the field, and talking to the coach afterward.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Reach out for the B Level team and ask if they would consider taking her on as a Developmental player for 6 months. You would pay for uniforms, half fees and attend all practices and events for the Fall. Tell him you would be willing to have her sit 50% of the games since she is an "extra" player. Then should an opportunity (or her efforts) show themselves you would start paying full fees for full team involvement. This would allow her to be among the group when it starts up for practices and tournaments. This alone will help her. If your DD and you are okay with this it may be a way to slide in and work until she shines and earns a spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478