Neck Slot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I understand the concern. We have talked about that very thing a lot. She has worked really hard, on getting moving early enough and does a good job at it. Coach Pitch and the times practicing hitting off of another Girl pitching.
She make that change on her own? Sounds like your DD and mine are kindred spirits...

Oct 2, 2017
She make that change on her own? Sounds like your DD and mine are kindred spirits...
I was showing her a video of Eric f's daughter who was doing it, as well as some college players. So she said I want to do that. So I said ok lol. She's been doing it for several months now

Oct 2, 2017
Maybe it's the lack of bat weight, but only on the first swing is she really keeping the bat on her shoulder - the other swings look like she lifts the bat off fairly early.

Still a great looking swing - are you concerned her hands are coming forward too early?

Don't know how to make a gif, but you can see in the video her hands going over the back shoulder and flattening the barrel.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm a fan of using the neck slot at an early age. Working from there leads to learning about an angled swing plane, and not fall into the DBSF trap. Bat on the shoulder. Pull back into the scap. Use the hands to turn the barrel to contact.

May 12, 2016
I think it is a virus that gets spread to 8 and 9 year olds at 8U/10U tournaments...yeah..that is what I am going with.

In terms of the neck slot, I would just have her actually just swing from the neck slot to start with, e.g. like Brett.
tV48eOc.gif

She can then perhaps progress to something like DiCarlo who starts with it there and then lifts out of a bit like your DD is trying to do.
One thing illustrated nicely in this gif is the use of Brett's core which causes his scap to work towards his rear pocket and results in elbow slotting. This is a pull swing and that's important IMO. I've seen a lot of girls trying the neck slot and ending up with a big time push swing and it looks very awkward and not very powerful

May 21, 2014
Don't know how to make a gif, but you can see in the video her hands going over the back shoulder and flattening the barrel.

to me, she's loading her hands vertically while she's striding. Horizontal or "walk away" from the hands during stride. Sometimes if a girl will not start both moves at the same time it will help. Start the stride and then start hands loading, especially if you are a slow-to-fast teacher of the swing. Conversely, you can go load and then stride while keeping the hands back, I just feel like this harder to be exactly right with the front foot timing.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
One thing illustrated nicely in this gif is the use of Brett's core which causes his scap to work towards his rear pocket and results in elbow slotting. This is a pull swing and that's important IMO. I've seen a lot of girls trying the neck slot and ending up with a big time push swing and it looks very awkward and not very powerful
I just noticed that Bretts hands start farther away from his core and then his hands get closer to his core and then his hands get throw off his core. Watch how the bat kinda saws along his deltoid as he loads scap. There is a lot to learn from this swing that produced 3154 hits.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I just noticed that Bretts hands start farther away from his core and then his hands get closer to his core and then his hands get throw off his core. Watch how the bat kinda saws along his deltoid as he loads scap. There is a lot to learn from this swing that produced 3154 hits.

So the hands/bat gets sucked into the core.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28