NCAA softball is toast!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2020
Let's face it. Football, WITH FANS, isn't going to happen this year. Without those $, non rev women's sports like softball will be the first to go. Going forward, Softball will be club level in college. No scholarships and no recruiters. šŸ˜ Our new reality.
What does this mean? Showcase and national tournaments will be a complete waste of money and "stay to play" is dead in the water.
Your club team is not going to be around next year so striving for HS state championships by competing year round with classmates, like football, will be the new norm.
This may be better in the long run because the club softball model was out of control, a money grab from top to bottom.

softball does generate revenue at some schools. it's not like lacrosse or rugby.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
OP is so convinced of his statements (or a troll) there's no point in trying to convince him otherwise. For the rest of us, large scale college athletics do not live on tickets alone. As long as the games are played there's tv contracts and merchandising, royalties, student fees, and alumni donations. Some schools may have to delay the next building phase of an athletic facility, but this is just a one year blip. Colleges think in terms of 10, 20, and 50 years down the road.
I didn't even touch on the Title IX ramifications which stand pretty well on their own.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Your argument has one huge problem: Only a few schools make money from football.

The top schools (Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, etc.) make a lot of money. The e top 25 teams make money on football. The other 4000 colleges and universities lose money on football.

I recently read that the average P5 football program loses over $2,000,000 dollars a year. That means thereā€™s really only a handful of programs that make money.

May 16, 2016
Sep 13, 2015
OP is so convinced of his statements (or a troll) there's no point in trying to convince him otherwise. For the rest of us, large scale college athletics do not live on tickets alone. As long as the games are played there's tv contracts and merchandising, royalties, student fees, and alumni donations. Some schools may have to delay the next building phase of an athletic facility, but this is just a one year blip. Colleges think in terms of 10, 20, and 50 years down the road.
I didn't even touch on the Title IX ramifications which stand pretty well on their own.
Not a troll, at all. I'm a softball Dad/Coach that's invested 6 years into this amazing game. I can't even watch baseball anymore after discovering Fastpitch.

But look, this is going to be our reality. The money is (soon will be) gone and cuts are coming across the board. I wish this wasn't the case but the cookie is crumbling.
On the bright side, HS softball will become relevant and more competitive again. State championship's will have value like they did in the past, our girls will choose colleges based on academic's and major (not softball) AND the cost for the parents of teenage softball players will immediately drop like it's hot.

May 16, 2016
"When we look at all college sports, we see that only three men's sports -- football, men's basketball, and baseball -- report larger revenues than women's softball. The Department of Education reports revenue on at least 30 men's college sports, so at least 27 men's college sports are not doing as well today at women's softball."

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
I walked onto a d2 program, and have a DD that plays D3, Both schools did/do not have football, to fund them. The D2 program probably had a smaller budget than the D3 currently has. I know I had a huge advantage entering school, I had a support group day #1, Canā€™t see this changing much for a great # of schools

May 20, 2016
While i don't think this will sink college athletics it's going to hurt for the a little bit. There will be issues for the next 4 years with all spring players being granted an extra year of eligibility. But that is really more of a burden on the schools more than the sport itself.

Sep 29, 2014
I think we need to remember that this is just TEMPORARY! IT is not like scientists and doctors don't know what to do it will just take time as in 12 to 18 months MAX...once a vaccine is in place and hospitals have preparations in place and treatment options improve this will be just like the flu and if it does not mutate it won't even be a blip on the radar in a few years. The reason everything is crazy right now is because it is "novel" which means "new" we don't have a vaccine or know what proper treatment looks like.....BREATH, EXHALE....it will be OK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802