NCAA Player ejected for (perhaps) making line in dirt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2019
I watched that fully expecting to take the umps side. Unless something pretty bad was said, that was an overreaction by the ump. IMO, of course. And every time I give one about officiating I’m usually proven wrong on here.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I watched that fully expecting to take the umps side. Unless something pretty bad was said, that was an overreaction by the ump. IMO, of course. And every time I give one about officiating I’m usually proven wrong on here.

No idea what happened here... Unless this had been building the whole game, this probably wasn't a great decision and probably warranted only a 'don't do that again' from the umpire. However just looking at the incident in isolation doesn't give anyone a view of the whole game and what led up to it (I didn't see this game so no idea).

A lot of umpires follow an 'acknowledge, warn and then toss' before ejecting someone. Perhaps he had already done the first two.

I have seen a few umpires who have said they will toss any player who draws a line in the dirt where they thought the pitch was. Did this player do that? He certainly didn't draw a big line but if he also said "it was there" or something similar (or this wasn't the first time) then yeah, then he should go. Arguing balls and strikes is a good way to be thrown out.

Sometimes you just have a bad game and you just keep making it worse.

Jul 3, 2013
Lots of 'this is my game' types out there officiating games. Wish there were fewer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Drawing a line is a major ... faux pas.

Been keeping up with this on another forum. People who watched the game said there didn’t seem to be anything brewing before. (That was the first thing I asked.)

I’m not willing to call it a bad ejection, but I’m also not 100% sold the kid drew a line. I’m not 100% convinced he didn’t either. I’m going to trust the umpire.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
Oh, there are. Fewer and fewer of both the good ones and the bad ones ... because they get tired of this stuff.
Obviously, there is more of this game than the clip shown. But this clip appears to be an over reaction by the person being paid to officiate.

May 29, 2015
From Major League Baseball’s Conduct and Responsibilities of Umpires:

• Actions by players specifically intended to ridicule an umpire are grounds for ejection. Examples include drawing a line in the dirt to demonstrate location of a pitch or leaving equipment at the plate after striking out with less than two outs.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
From Major League Baseball’s Conduct and Responsibilities of Umpires:

• Actions by players specifically intended to ridicule an umpire are grounds for ejection. Examples include drawing a line in the dirt to demonstrate location of a pitch or leaving equipment at the plate after striking out with less than two outs.

I don't see that he drew a line in the dirt to indicate location. The line was perpendicular to the ball path.

Umpires are human...perhaps the parents were flapping their jaws.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478