NCAA Pitching Rule Proposal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
Nov 8, 2018
According to the article.

“With the addition of the signal armband in the game, we felt it was important to get the pitcher to be in contact with the rubber while taking the signal,” said Edith Gallagher, committee chair and coach at Mansfield. “It was important that the pitchers aren’t able to get the signal standing behind the rubber, then get a walk-through toward the batter.”

They must get the signal in the rubber. There was a statement also that mentioned no backwards movement as well.
This part sounds a little ridiculous. In this case there would be no forward momentum. You would have to get your foot in place and be in a rearward position then push forward only.
We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 20, 2015
Actually it appears they are proposing to allow the back foot toe to be behind the rubber as much as desired making things easier for the pitcher.

"While the pitcher takes the signal, her stride foot may be on or behind the pitcher’s plate as far back as desired. Once the pitcher initially sets the toe of her stride foot, she cannot move it to increase the distance behind the pitcher’s plate. In addition, the pitcher must take or appear to take a signal while in the pitching and signal-taking positions."

Jul 14, 2018
Do you have a video example of the problem they are trying to fix?

I don't. I just spun through YouTube for a few minutes and didn't find anything, but I imagine that if the NCAA is considering a rule it must be happening somewhere. Right?

My question is more about: I know my daughter does this, is it time to focus on stopping?

Jul 14, 2018
Here is Rachel Garcia, checking her wristband at the back of the circle:

Watching video of her, she does pause on the rubber before starting her delivery, so no walkthrough effect. Maybe they're just trying to speed up the game?

Sep 29, 2014
So this is their big pitching rule change ...lol

I really can remember seeing a pitcher walk through; they almost always set there feet on the pitching plate look up and pause then pitch at least that is the rhythm that seem most prevalent when I watch.

Nov 18, 2013
It's not legal to walk through without pausing now. They have to at least simulate taking a sign from the rubber whether they get it before that or not. Typical NCAA making a rule where none is needed and ignoring blatant infractions like crow hopping and leaping.

Mar 6, 2018
Here is Rachel Garcia, checking her wristband at the back of the circle:

View attachment 14527

Watching video of her, she does pause on the rubber before starting her delivery, so no walkthrough effect. Maybe they're just trying to speed up the game?
Wouldn't that slow down the game by making her wait to take the sign.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2018
Wouldn't that slow down the game by making her wait to take the sign.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

No, they're waiting for a sign no matter what. Even if they get the sign via wristband, as MNDad said, they're still supposed to stand on the rubber and simulate taking a sign. So in effect, the current rule requires them to take the time to receive a sign twice. I guess they're trying to eliminate the first step of getting the sign off the rubber, and tamp down on any pitcher who is using the effect of stepping onto the rubber and going directly into her windup.

Maybe this is more of a problem in the lower levels that don't get shown on TV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28