NCAA Pitching Rule Proposal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Played 12U class A ball all over Fl, Ga, and Al. this year. In my DD first tournament people were complaining that she didn't have the ball in her throwing hand. Officials asking each other what the rule was and so on. She has her hands separated but ball in her glove which is legal. I have seen pitcher after pitcher this season get a signal with their hands together and walk and pitch. Not once warned the entire season. Very few kids keep both feet on the rubber when they rock back and I haven't seen it called either. My DD when she rocks back comes off the rubber by about an inch.

Jun 22, 2008
There is already a rule in place to stop the pitchers from "walking through" the pitch. They already require a 2 second pause with the hands separated. And they say this Is to stop the pitcher from gaining an advantage over the batter, yet they want to let the pitcher keep her stride foot behind the pitching plate, very similar to NFHS and the step back? Just one more example of NCAA screwing around with the rules and moving even further away from every other ruleset.

May 29, 2015
No force out. Ball was about 3/4 down the 1st base line and maybe 5 feet in foul territory. Ump was in full uniform and BSing with both sides before & during the game. He actually stopped the game for 15 minutes to let the sun set. Never saw that before.

So, what was the (faulty) rationale for the out? I am completely stumped as to what he could even be screwing up to get to that point.

I have seen games stopped for a setting sun. I always find it bizarre, but I guess it’s better than a pitcher getting plunked with the throw back.

May 29, 2015
Played 12U class A ball all over Fl, Ga, and Al. this year. In my DD first tournament people were complaining that she didn't have the ball in her throwing hand. Officials asking each other what the rule was and so on. She has her hands separated but ball in her glove which is legal. I have seen pitcher after pitcher this season get a signal with their hands together and walk and pitch. Not once warned the entire season. Very few kids keep both feet on the rubber when they rock back and I haven't seen it called either. My DD when she rocks back comes off the rubber by about an inch.

Depending on the rule set, keeping both feet on the rubber may not be required.

Apr 28, 2019
So, what was the (faulty) rationale for the out? I am completely stumped as to what he could even be screwing up to get to that point.

I have seen games stopped for a setting sun. I always find it bizarre, but I guess it’s better than a pitcher getting plunked with the throw back.
I didn’t hear his response to the opposing coaches “inquiry” as to how could that be an out. I only heard him say nobody’s perfect after the fact.
It’s comical because the home team was supplying him with cold water throughout the game and after every inning he would step behind the backstop and pour water over his head.
That’s why I can’t understand the minute strike zone and bizarre final out call. Expand the zone or at the very least call legit strikes and move the game along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802