NCAA Pitching Rule Changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
For the orgs that use it, I wish "appear to take a signal" was defined more clearly. What type of signal? A finger and a location from the catcher takes a different amount of time than a coach calling out "3-5-7" and the pitcher looking at their armband.

Would be easier for umpires to calibrate what is and isn't an illegal pitch.

Even easier ... pause for X number of seconds. I don’t care what you do during that time period.

Jul 2, 2013
NFHS already allows the stride foot to be behind the rubber ... (Circa the 2016 book)

... and a step to be taken ...
View attachment 15528

NFHS has changed the interpretation of the above rule to allow the step back to occur before the hands separate. They did this by saying the step back could occur prior to the start of the pitch which is now defined as when the hands separate.

SITUATION 3: The pitcher from Team A steps onto the pitcher’s plate, simulates taking a signal, then brings her hands together. With her hands together, she raises her hands up over her head while taking a step backward, separating her hands after the step backward has ended and then continuing to pitch the ball. The umpire calls this an illegal pitch, ruling that any step backward must begin prior to any motion that is part of the windup. RULING: This is an incorrect ruling. Any step backward must begin prior to the start of the pitch, which is when the hands separate after they have been brought together. (6-1-2a, b)

We ran into a couple of umps this year who told DD after the game that she was illegal. Our coach questioned the second one and he was good enough to email the next day to apologize. He went back and read up on the rule and said our coach was right.

They should all just change it to the NCAA rule and call it good.

May 29, 2015
It’s funny that all the rule sets want to be their own thing, but then keep changing their rules to align. Just received my 2020 NFHS books and am getting a kick out of them explaining changes with “to bring NFHS in line with other organizations.”

Don’t get me wrong, I like uniformity. It’s just entertaining to watch the pendulum swing back and forth.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I think this is going to be interesting and potentially very positive. For those who have been around along time and/or those who have read and studied Java's 2 step and pushback drills, they are now very close to being legal since both feet don't have to be on the rubber. His drills were always drills and really good ones IMO. But they were illegal (which Java always prefaced) as they required a step back. Again, at the time, they were just drills for drive to get a good rhythm and feel and then apply to legal pitching. But the way I see it now, they can actually be put to use AS IS which IMHO is huge. Just my thoughts and so happy to see the organizations allowing this now.

Man in Blue, would you mind posting the 2020 NFHS pitching rules when you get a chance? I know the change this year was to allow the pivot foot to be in contact with the plate and NOT on top of the plate (meaning the back of the heal now works....just have to have contact). I want to make sure I understand them correctly and if anything has changed from your earlier post on this thread regarding the step back.

In other words, is the following statement still true?

"Any step back shall begin before the hands are brought together. The step backward may end before or after the hands come together".

Many thanks!

Oct 4, 2018
Hmm... Guess this will be something I'll explore with my 10 year old DD. Seems she could improve by taking advantage of this new rule.

Feb 7, 2013
Good rule in my opinion and it's consistent with the high school rules which almost all college girls play coming up the ranks. Now, if they would allow a "leap" like the men do, the pitching game will be complete.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
It’s funny that all the rule sets want to be their own thing, but then keep changing their rules to align. Just received my 2020 NFHS books and am getting a kick out of them explaining changes with “to bring NFHS in line with other organizations.”

Don’t get me wrong, I like uniformity. It’s just entertaining to watch the pendulum swing back and forth.
Please share if anything new is glaring. Thanks MIB!

May 29, 2015
Please share if anything new is glaring. Thanks MIB!

I started to post here, but I figured it is worth its own thread:

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I started to post here, but I figured it is worth its own thread:
Perfect. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28