NCAA No Longer Enforcing Foot Out Of Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2015
and, they should have known to adjust since it was being complained about to the refs BEFORE the call that cost them a second out at a crucial time.
Unless there was a view I did not see showing the foot out by 3 inches, I have a problem with the second base umpire making that call in the late innings with no lines at all. He must have eagle vision. That same ump made made the obstruction call earlier in the game against FSU. I fully expected one of the FSU coaches to get tossed.

Sep 29, 2014
The obstruction call was IMO B.S. although you could make a technical argument for it, but this interpretation makes it very difficult for second baseman to take a throw down without jeopardizing getting this call, the video is blocked on you tube I was going to make a thread about it but just doesn't make sense without the video.

As for the call on out of the box there is no doubt it was the correct call her foot was plainly in front of the plate but I think as with everyone consistency is key. You don't call it all game but then the opposing coach complains and you call it on the very next pitch at the end of the game....always gonna be suspect no matter how right the call was.

Feb 20, 2019
The obstruction call was IMO B.S. although you could make a technical argument for it, but this interpretation makes it very difficult for second baseman to take a throw down without jeopardizing getting this call, the video is blocked on you tube I was going to make a thread about it but just doesn't make sense without the video.

As for the call on out of the box there is no doubt it was the correct call her foot was plainly in front of the plate but I think as with everyone consistency is key. You don't call it all game but then the opposing coach complains and you call it on the very next pitch at the end of the game....always gonna be suspect no matter how right the call was.

I agree with you on the obstruction call at 2B. However, she did enter the base path slightly before the ball arrived, although it had absolutely no bearing on the play - the ball arrived well before the base runner did. The fielder should have stradled the base and then come off to get the ball, which was thrown to the 1B side of 2B. It was a petty call but, to your point, probably the correct technical interpretation of the rule.

Jul 29, 2016
Help me out here. The rule is you have to be inside the box (i.e. both feet) when the bat makes contact with the ball - is that correct? My daughter's team has FIVE slappers, and they usually bat 1-5 n the lineup (yes - you read that right). A couple of the girls have LOTS of footwork, and end up three feet in front of home plate on taken pitches and swinging strikes. I would have to be looking directly at their feet and listening for contact to know for sure where their feet were at the time of contact - don't know how that's possible for an ump behind the plate.

And what's the call - is it a strike or an out?

Sep 29, 2014
Help me out here. The rule is you have to be inside the box (i.e. both feet) when the bat makes contact with the ball - is that correct? My daughter's team has FIVE slappers, and they usually bat 1-5 n the lineup (yes - you read that right). A couple of the girls have LOTS of footwork, and end up three feet in front of home plate on taken pitches and swinging strikes. I would have to be looking directly at their feet and listening for contact to know for sure where their feet were at the time of contact - don't know how that's possible for an ump behind the plate.

You have to ask the resident umpires but I think for now this in NCAA only, I think the other rulesets still have the as long as any part of the foot touches the box you are OK. Also realize if you contact the ball then your foot comes down it's OK....but I defer to the experts

Aug 30, 2015
I would have to be looking directly at their feet and listening for contact to know for sure where their feet were at the time of contact - don't know how that's possible for an ump behind the plate.

I'm watching the ball all the way in. Then, when she swings/ makes contact, I quickly look down at the feet.

I also recognize a slapper coming so I"m ready.

But no, it is not always easy and I do not call it unless I'm positive the foot is entirely out. When there is no line left, then I only call it when her foot is entirely in front of the plate (or in some cases, on the plate).

If contact is made, whether fair or foul, batter is out.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Now that I think about it one call was in game 2 of the Rajin Cajuns and LSU. Bottom of 7, 1 out, and the Rajin Cajuns are at bat. Slapper gets called out for the 2nd out on this exact call. I am pretty sure that is how it went down although I could be confusing it with another game. Watched too many this weekend 🤯

May 29, 2015
You have to ask the resident umpires but I think for now this in NCAA only, I think the other rulesets still have the as long as any part of the foot touches the box you are OK. Also realize if you contact the ball then your foot comes down it's OK....but I defer to the experts

Sounds correct to me. (y)

Dead ball, batter is out.

Oct 5, 2015
The maddening part is the inconsistent application of the rule. Whether the batter is stepping in front of the plate in the 1st or the 7th shouldn't matter yet it seems to. The FSU batter called out was beyond obvious and it is amazing that the home ump couldn't call it and the middle ump had to make the call but I am not an ump and can't imagine everything they are working on, especially when the pitcher is just going to pound screws on the outer edge and if they don't get the call, the pitch is virtually unhittable for many slappers without stepping across the river. Adapt or risk the alternative. There is no way the FSU coaches could have objected to the actual call but moreso the lack of consistency that led to their frustration

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse