NCAA No Longer Enforcing Foot Out Of Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
especially when the pitcher is just going to pound screws on the outer edge and if they don't get the call, the pitch is virtually unhittable

This has been my approach when calling pitches to a slapper. The enforcement of any part of the foot being out of the box has me wondering if a changeup might be equally as effective. Getting that running start requires the slapper to time their steps to when the ball will reach the plate, If they have to start their forward motion and then wait for the ball to arrive, it's gotta be tough to stay in the box. Of course, that leaves you dependent on the umpire to make the call.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The maddening part is the inconsistent application of the rule. Whether the batter is stepping in front of the plate in the 1st or the 7th shouldn't matter yet it seems to. The FSU batter called out was beyond obvious and it is amazing that the home ump couldn't call it and the middle ump had to make the call but I am not an ump and can't imagine everything they are working on, especially when the pitcher is just going to pound screws on the outer edge and if they don't get the call, the pitch is virtually unhittable for many slappers without stepping across the river. Adapt or risk the alternative. There is no way the FSU coaches could have objected to the actual call but moreso the lack of consistency that led to their frustration
.....To the point of inconsistancy....
Inconsistant balls and strikes happen far'rrrr more often.
Can influence the game on a regular bases!
And thats a visual determination....
Not something with a line and foot.

Umpire adds structure to the game.
Each team gets the same umpire and rules!

Train players correctly!
Imo...some mechanics have more
risk of stepping out.
Plus more timing issues.
Call pitches accordingly ;)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
Unless there was a view I did not see showing the foot out by 3 inches, I have a problem with the second base umpire making that call in the late innings with no lines at all. He must have eagle vision. That same ump made made the obstruction call earlier in the game against FSU. I fully expected one of the FSU coaches to get tossed.
Her foot was all the way in front of the plate. I was watching it live and it was blatant even in the full speed view and obvious on the replay. Entire foot in front of the plate. Not even close. It's an incredible advantage to slappers to get out of the box this way so I'm glad it was called. It's slowed down the slapping game and made it a part of the game again instead of taking over like it was for awhile

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
When you guys keep saying "in front of the plate", I assume you are referring to her movement perpendicular to the plate, not her parallel move towards the pitcher ... correct?

Meaning, her foot was literally within the 17 inches of home plate (extended).

May 6, 2015
When you guys keep saying "in front of the plate", I assume you are referring to her movement perpendicular to the plate, not her parallel move towards the pitcher ... correct?

correct, I watched the game, and a portion of her foot was most obviously within the 17 inches of HP. no need for lines on that one, HP gives its own visual reference.

Apr 20, 2015

Yep

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
This really isn’t as hard as you think if you train your self the correct way. Just as batters/players practice, umpires should also. Hitters are taught to track the pitch to the glove. Fielders repetitiously take ground balls or fly balls.
As an umpire every spring I contact our local college coach and call batting practice for his pitchers and catchers. Then the last hour of the workout he puts slappers and bunters in the batters box, and I train my self to watch the ball to the glove or contact, and then get a look at the batters feet. This process has helped me make this call way before they changed the rule a couple years back. I have done this now for over 15 years and seeing the batters feet are just second nature to me now. Make this call pretty often and very seldom catch grief for it....usually it is from the coach who know his slapper does it all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802