NCAA Division 1 Softball Regionals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
Newman from Drake would be one of the top 2 or 3 pitchers in the BIG conference. But the Missouri Valley Conference is still historically a pretty solid Mid-Major conference. The problem with conferences like the MVC is the big teams keep moving out for basketball or football reasons. I.E. Wichita State left the MVC last year so they could be in a conference that gave there basketball teams a better shot at NCAA. Im thinking in a few years, there will be just 5 major conferences maybe with 16 teams each. NCAA will then get split up into two divisions, the big conference divisions then a second tier division.

Nov 3, 2012
The SEC will continue to dominate until the PAC12, ACC, and B1G pony up the $$$. If you look at the top programs in the country most make significant investments, most of which are never seen by the casual fan.

The BIG teams are really dumping some money into softball, because one thing the BIG conference is good at getting money from the Big 10 Network and their football and basketball gate.
Purdue recently built a $13MM dollar stadium with a fan boxes, great seating and a nice indoor practice room. They bumped up the salary on the new coach. They have new weight room facilities for all athletes. I think some other schools have upgraded facilities. The said part is they don't get to use there facilities as much because its so cold in Feb and March and April. All the Northern teams have to travel south which is a cost and disadvantage. I think the BIG teams have upgraded and spent $$$ and that's enabled them to tread water, instead of loosing ground. I know you're DD just graduated from South Carolina. They're program is really on the rise. Give me an example of some of those small things that they're doing.

Nov 3, 2012
I think we’re left with:

A) Home field advantage actually is a big deal in softball.

B) Members of the selection committee are geniuses.

Do I sense a little remaining resentment from Minnesota getting screwed last year for not hosting a regional even though they were ranked #1 in the coaches poll.

Feb 7, 2013
The SEC will continue to dominate until the PAC12, ACC, and B1G pony up the $$$. If you look at the top programs in the country most make significant investments, most of which are never seen by the casual fan.

With 4 of the top 8 ranked teams in the super regionals, I would say the PAC-12 is holding their own quite well.

panthadad2

fastpitch pops
Jun 27, 2017
Yes, with 4 PAC 12 teams in the supers they have done quite well compared to only 8 for the SEC. :)

PAC 12, with only 9 teams in the conference, are hosting 4 of the 8 regionals. That's pretty darn good. SEC hosting 2. SEC will have to upset some home teams get more in the WCWS. To me, the LSU @ FSU seems like the most likely upset. I'm looking forward to watching this weekend!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
Will be a great weekend and can't wait. Wish my Big 12 could represent better like the PAC and SEC. Regardless, my alma mater Oklahoma is still the team to beat IMHO! But anyone can be beat so let's play ball!

Jan 31, 2015
Looks like that *crappy* ACC is a SEC and Pac 12 killer. ;-) Like momma always said, "Every dog has his day!" ;-)

B1G and ACC are crappy softball conferences. To be fair, so is the bottom half of the Big 12.

I live in MN and DD knows half the team so I need to pull for them. A friend has a DD at Notre Dame so I want them to win too. It can be a crappy softball conference and still be a great school or the perfect fit. Just sounded like the priority was D1 softball and if so why not shoot for the best conference. I think you clarified later a top computer science program was her #1 criteria.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee