Nationals recap/high school (long)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
DD was asked to pick up with a team at Nationals last week - it's a team one of her friends is on and they were going to be down to 8 so they def needed someone. She's pretty much a utility player so will play anywhere she is asked.

Her travel team is a low B team and this travel team is high B and could probably be an A team. The spring season they took 1st in all but 2 tournaments (where they got 3rd) so I was scared to what DD could bring to the team. She practiced with them a few times before they went down and did okay. DD is a good fielder but still struggles a bit with hitting. She's been doing a lot better lately - she had the 2nd highest batting average on her team this past season.

Team only played 5 games - they had played 2 pool games and then lost their first bracket game. Won the first loser's bracket game and lost the next. DD was 0-3 in the pool games. But the team only had 3 hits total in those 2 games so seems okay. Bracket games she made it on base 5 out of her 6 at bats. 3 hits, a walk, FC (where everyone was safe) and one popup. The last game we played, the pitcher was really good and DD was the first batter on base - drew a walk on 4 balls. Also a stolen base... Didn't do much defense-wise, caught in the pool games, played 2nd in one bracket game and then CF the other two. TBH I expected a lot more from this team - I know they can hit well - so it was weird that they barely had any hits the entire tournament.

But happy that she did it - it takes a lot for her to try new things. She actually had to practice with the team for the first time when her friend wasn't even at practice.

Also, DD's on the JV team for HS SB (she's a rising 9th grader). They were supposed to scrimmage with another team's JV and Varsity team a week or so ago. Some of the varsity team was not going to be there so DD and a sophomore were asked to play in both games. The sophomore made sense - she's a good pitcher and can get hit HRs. So I was impressed he asked DD. Sadly the games were cancelled so we didn't get to see how she would have done. When they played summer games in June, her team had to play against varsity teams and she did well in both - they actually won 1 and lost 1. The only game they were supposed to play against another JV team got cancelled due to rain :/

The season starts in a couple of week so excited to see how DD does :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee