National Team Rosters?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2017
The Romero sisters announcing that they going to play for Mexico got me thinking of who all else might choose to make a run at the Olympics with other countries. There are quite a few great American ball players who can/have played for Canada/PR/Mexico and other countries.

Escobedo threw for Mexico at the Worlds in Canada and was very effective. I imagine the two countries which can load with the most high level Americans are going to be the teams to qualify for Tokyo (with US obviously already qualified).

So that being said, anybody know what other new big name players that will be competing for other countries?

Dec 11, 2017
Some of the big name Americans:

PR
  • Meghan King
  • Taran Alvelo
  • G Juarez
  • D'Orazio
  • Torraca

Canada
  • Gilbert
  • Hovinga
  • Jenkins
  • Brannan
  • Brown
  • Febrey
  • Plourde
  • N. Schroeder
  • Vander Heide

Mexico
  • Del Ponte
  • Meza
  • Escobedo
  • E. Bennett
  • Costa
  • Taukeiaho
  • Palacios
  • S. Rodriguez

Mar 13, 2010
And this is why our sport got booted out of the Olympics.

When you have all American teams it’s gery hard to argue that you’re not American dominated.

The fact that three out of the six teams will be from North American is SUCH a dumb decision. Add to that it’s likely to be 2/3 teams filled with American born and raised players (and possibly three if there’s an upset against Canada) will murder our chances of staying in the Olympics.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Not much different from the world baseball classic - if players are approved to play by their MLB team. The American team isn’t stacked because many players are on different country rosters.
For softball... there are only so many spots. How much of it is being asked to play for another country and how much of it is they weren’t selected for USA?
If given a chance to play, wouldn’t you do it; even if it meant playing for your family country?
YES!

Mar 13, 2010
I was asked as a 15 year old to try out for Great Britain. I said no.

We’ve had American, Australian and Canadian players playing for other countries for years. It hasn’t resulted in increased intrest.

The Great Britain team at the last world champs had one player on the team who was born in Great Britain. ONE. Everyone else was Australian, American or Canadian.

Sep 3, 2018
And this is why our sport got booted out of the Olympics.

When you have all American teams it’s gery hard to argue that you’re not American dominated.

The fact that three out of the six teams will be from North American is SUCH a dumb decision. Add to that it’s likely to be 2/3 teams filled with American born and raised players (and possibly three if there’s an upset against Canada) will murder our chances of staying in the Olympics.

Baseball and Softball were booted from the Olympics because so few countries participate and the facilities are too specialized
Hockey, speed skating and figure skating can use the same facilities.
Soccer, lacrosse, track and field.... same stadium
Baseball and Softball can't even properly share the same stadiums, passing that cost on to host countries that may not even play those sports might have been negotiated out of games in London, Rio...

Jan 27, 2019
PR also includes
Carsyn Gordon (fsu)
Shemiah Sanchez (lsu)
Kamalani Dung (Cal)
Morganne Flores (wa)
Jaime Hoover (fl, reserve)

Jan 28, 2019
I was asked as a 15 year old to try out for Great Britain. I said no.

We’ve had American, Australian and Canadian players playing for other countries for years. It hasn’t resulted in increased intrest.

The Great Britain team at the last world champs had one player on the team who was born in Great Britain. ONE. Everyone else was Australian, American or Canadian.

I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad. What are they doing over there... That's terrible in the long run.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101